Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lunch packing container challenge

Lunch packing container challenge

Does anyone know where to get leakproof stainless steel/silicone containers that are not made in China or another low-wage/low-environmental regulation country?

and can you throw in a pink unicorn? thanks.

Are vintage items what you are looking for? made in America and all that. When I want something circa 1980 I check ebay.

Well, there are these Lunchbots, which claim to be responsibly manufactured in China (policy here). Same deal for PlanetBox . And KleanKanteen . And ECOLunchbox . And the OmieBox .

If you really want to avoid Chinese manufacturing/raw materials, there are these Warmables and these food-storage bowls but they're made from recycled food-grade plastic, not steel or silicone. Or this container, sold as a marinator and leakproof -- but ABS plastic.

You could try calling Uwajimaya, which is a small chain of stores in the Pacific Northwest selling (primarily) items from Japan, including food storage and lunchboxes/bento boxes: (206) 624-6248 or SeattleStore@uwajimaya.com . They apparently don't sell on-line but I'm sure they would help if you called and could describe what you're looking for. (I keep my bulk spices in small plastic containers I've only found at Uwajimaya. Those little guys were made in Japan; of course, I can't speak to everyhting they sell.) Japanese manufacturer Zojirushi has a line of thermal containers, though they, too, have BPA-free plastic liners so they can be microwaved (don't know if that's a requirement).

Any of those fill the bill? As for the pink unicorn, is this what you're looking for? .
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I don’t think vintage is going to be what i’m Looking for. I love zojirushi, but I am trying to replace my now leaking Tupperware with something plastic free (that is unlikely to break if dropped, dishwasher safe, and plastic free) I actually found something I like at ecolunchbox But was wondering if I could find that additional step before I ordered.

i’m not sure how I feel about becoming part of a story that starts out “I got a phone call from this crazy woman in the Midwest...”

but re the unicorn, thank you for reminding me not to be a smug smart Alec on-line. Sometimes my real life makes me complacent.

Do these fit the bill?

check out this (made in south korea):
    http://lifewithoutplastic.com/stainl...16-cm-6-25-in/

or this (made in India - which may or may not be better than China but it's not China)
    http://lifewithoutplastic.com/stainl...-900-ml-30-oz/

and browse the site as there is more (some of it made in China but it will say so)

Now I've used all of those but personally I'm making my way back to glass as I like glass, even if it occasionally breaks (and with glass of course there is Pyrex, Anchor Hocking, Corningware - vintage etc. - often made in the U.S.A.). It's fine for the office but it is an office not a classroom :P
    Trees don't grow on money

I'd look at old Stanley metal lunch boxes or old miner's lunch boxes on eBay. Some of the old miner's lunch boxes are pretty functional and cool. I understand not wanting vintage, but it seems like a decent option that fits the bill and in a way is recycling.

I just realized I wasn’t clear because some of you think I meant “lunch box” he has a bag he carries his whole lunch in. What I need is something in which to put wet food inside the bag.

I like the round hinge snapped ones, but I don’t like handwashing. I want to believe I will do it, but he takes lunch 5 or six days a week, and I know myself too well.

pyrex has plastic lids, and he breaks them.

How about a mason type jar or canning jar?

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Do these fit the bill?

check out this (made in south korea):
    http://lifewithoutplastic.com/stainl...16-cm-6-25-in/

or this (made in India - which may or may not be better than China but it's not China)
    http://lifewithoutplastic.com/stainl...-900-ml-30-oz/

and browse the site as there is more (some of it made in China but it will say so)..l
    Those are not leak proof for liquoids.

I don’t understand why vintage or even modern stainless steel thermoses will not work.

Thread Information