Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you tell people who ask your age?

Do you tell people who ask your age?

Since I no longer have a dog to walk for 1 1/2 hours a day, I have been swimming lengths for 30 mins and treading water for 15mins at the pool early mornings. I try for 6 days a week if possible.

A significant number of people come to socialize and do exercises together informally in a part of the shallow end. They have fun gossiping and have been coming for years. I try to be polite greeting all and socialize for about 5 mins but focus on my goals.

Earlier this week, one of the exercising ladies asked me why I keep my pool routine so focused on such vigorous activity. I honestly answered that I was replacing my dog walking exercise.

She then asked me how old I was. I wished that I had good response to that question.

I have found that once individuals reach a certain age, they seem to settle for less activity and limit their interest in trying new things. This can be any age from 30+ and up. I refuse to limit myself so don't share my age with anyone.

Do you have any witty wisdom in how to answer the question - how old are you?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Do you have any witty wisdom in how to answer the question - how old are you?
    Not at all witty, and my answer seems to change on a yearly basis. I'm currently answering as 63.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I answer the question. Sometimes I even volunteer my age. I’m 57. It never mattered to me.

You could say “old enough to not ask people their age.” 😄

Well, all you have to do is look on my Facebook page, where my birthday is posted. I don't hide my age MOST of the time. But I do when I'm with clients--purely a business decision. So they don't ask ME, but sometimes when I mention my kids, they'll ask, "How old are your kids?" So I have to dodge the answer (My oldest son is 40!! How did that happen?) by saying, "Oh, they're all adults now." (The "now" intentionally placed to imply that they JUST turned 21).

As far as a witty retort to answer the question 'how old are you'--best I've heard is from the musical Mame: "Somewhere between 40 and death."
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I tell them the truth and then sarcastically ask how decrepit they are. They usually answer!

Hmmm....I don't understand it being a problem....to tell someone your age. Are you reading too much into her question?

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Hmmm....I don't understand it being a problem....to tell someone your age. Are you reading too much into her question?
    I answered the question but I would never ask that question of anyone so maybe it is a personal peeve. I don't celebrate my birthday either. Every morning begins a day that is a celebration to enjoy. My wedding anniversary with its milestones was important to me but never a birthday.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Well, usually the people asking me are under 18. But yes, I always answer.

now that i’m 50, I often volunteer. “I’m fifty. I don’t (have to) [fill in the blank] any more.” Exercise and trying new things would not be in the blank. Putting up with nonsense of some type is often in the blank. I’m fifty, I don’t have time for that.

also, today one of my seventeen year olds said that 16 was the best age, and I asked “so it’s all down hill from here?” And he said “yep.” I told him, “well, if you want something to look forward to, fifty is pretty good.”

I am 57 years young! I never avoid the age question......I will take every year I get and stand proud!

Thread Information