Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: March Frugals

Dogs towards the end of life get expensive. When my 2 Maltese died we saved 400/month on meds and the big guy 150 on meds and 50 on food. He was a big dog. Putting them to sleep at home is expensive too. Yesterday we brainstormed together and cut 700/month out of our budget.

Wow Terry, $700 a month is huge! Good for you!

Rosa, we are losing 1500/month income. The other 800 we saved for vacations. We need a balanced budget). Meanwhile DH seriously looking for a job because he never wanted to be retired but he is 5 years younger than me. The university is looking for a class for me but I doubt they will have one all 3 semesters which is what I am used too. No clue how I will fill my time now.

On a positive note we are sick of cable company raising rates every year. Went to AT&T and they added direct tv and internet to our cell phone plan and only 160 for all 3 . Half of what we were paying. They have a special plan for veterans.

Oh sorry Terry, I clearly wasn't putting the whole picture together.

That’s okay Rosa we don’t want to spend our savings at this point so decided to see where we could cut back. Every few years we actually try to lower our insurance etc by shopping around. I read that retirees play the game by switching between 2 tv/internet provider every few years as a new customer. Never did this before but sounds good to me.

Yppej
    I have been extending the time between haircuts. I wear my hair swept back from my temples on one side and when the gray starts to show there I sweep it forward which buys me another couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I read that retirees play the game by switching between 2 tv/internet provider every few years as a new customer. Never did this before but sounds good to me.
    Last year DW and I moved away from an insurance company and agent with which we had no complaints (aside from the ever-increasing premiums) to a different insurance company. When I called our old agency to clean up some loose ends, I told the agent directly that we had no qualms about their service but that we -- long-time customers with pretty much all of our insurance with them and no claims for years -- didn't seem to get any break for being "good customers" and that if insurance companies only gave new customers a break, then we would have to be some other company's new customers.

ObFrugal: Finding lots of sales for items we're interested in buying but maintaining ultimate frugality by not buying any of these optional things, no matter how much we're saving (the old line about how much money can you afford to save). Otherwise little things like buying groceries on sale, cooking at home rather than eating out -- the usual stuff.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yppej
    Ate free food all day from the St. Patrick's Day breakfast at work and brought some home along with a free green T shirt. A dancer came in and did Irish jigs. Yes, you can tell I work near Boston.

I have 3 quilts ready to donate at Charity group today. All of the fabric came from my stash. I will receive a $5 coupon for each when I turn them in.

So I can buy approximately 1 1/4 for free And yes, I do this every month. I love to quilt. The community organizations we donate to get to spread our quilty love to those who need it. At the end of the year I have 15y of fresh fabric at no cost to me!

Thread Information