Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Manifesting Your True Self

Quote Originally Posted by SiouzQ. View Post
    I am really trying to re-manifest myself back into my dream life here in New Mexico. It has been such a grueling year in so many ways ~ the death of my daughter and two debilitating surgeries within months of each other, all while actively in menopause, plus this stupid chronic side-hip, gluteus medius pain. In spite of all these trials, now that spring is coming I am sort of maybe seeing the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel. I went on two hikes this week, nothing hard because I am still experiencing pain and other issues with the last surgery, but it felt so good to be outside in this beautiful landscape, traipsing around in my favorite places. I can feel my old wanderlust starting to return. I'm starting to want to start playing music with other people again and be more sociable. I am surviving all this and hope to start thriving soon.
    I have always thought that you have rich inner resources to draw upon. It is true that you have had so much SHIT Happen this year that is difficult to get beyond it. But in the end I think he will end up OK I have always thought you would end up living an authentic life.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-1-19 at 8:13pm.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    You know... I am an avid garage saler and bargain hunter. I cannot see making something when I can buy it so much cheaper. I would rather spend my time doing something else. Interesting in how we all preserve things.
    Depends on how much you enjoy making things, I guess. Because we don't like the couch we bought last year (or at least DH doesn't like it), so we bought two wing chairs at a consignment shop. I'm not crazy about the fabric pattern, so I'm playing around with the idea of making slipcovers in maybe a linen or cotton duck. I know I could do it. I can make patterns and I can sew... but I'm afraid of procrastinating and never getting it done.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My authentic self is a bookworm, Star Trek nerd, and being outdoors when the weather is comfortable and I’m sitting in the shade.

It took 50 years to figure this out. Ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    My authentic self is a bookworm, Star Trek nerd, and being outdoors when the weather is comfortable and I’m sitting in the shade.

It took 50 years to figure this out. Ha.
    Better late than never, Tammy!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I've always been a dilettante, with so many interests (and probably a touch of ADHD), that I never focus on anything for long.
    Sounds like me for sure

Kristin Nicholas's work--the book Joyful has a couple of chapters on the life-enhancing power of color.
    I'll have to check that book out. I already one-clicked two of her books (Darn my gazingus pin book compulsion)

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Iris it is Kaffe Fasset. (Rhymes with safe asset).

I have done this this my whole life. Every afghan, pillow, quilt etc, all our bedding is made by me. All of our pottery dishes and serving dishes are are made by me. Our furniture is all handcrafted, the complicated pieces we had made but a lot of the wood in the house was made by DH. I reupholstered my couch and chair and I have my watercolors and quilts on the walls. My walls and floors are deliberately neutral though. I used to make a lot of clothes and knit socks and sweaters too. Now I rarely make clothes as I live a jeans and t shirt life. And a lot of the intricate handwork like knitting is out due to arthritis.
    I always have to be doing and making something, usually several projects at a time. Even when I worked full time I always did this. Sometimes I’m in someone’s showcase home and know mine is not likely to be in a magazine, but I love it. Plus I have lots of flowers outside and flowering plants like African violets and Christmas cactus (my salmon one is in Full bloom now) I don’t have piles of craft supplies and fabrics, just a small stash and I use it up. I guess it has to be in your blood. But you can always pick up a small project and start.

Now on that I am retired I do more stuff, and include exercise and genealogy research too in my day. Life is good.
    Yes! kaffe Fasset! Thank you. His stuff is so colorful.

I've always been a dilettante, with so many interests]
    When I was a child, my dad had many serial interests. He decided to become a pilot, then a winemaker, then he was into RVs, and now at 89, he'd into making things from wood. My mom used to say (derogatorily) you never stay with anything.

As a child, I would flit from thing to thing and again I would hear my mother say you never stay with anything.

I just can't imagine having the same hobby my entire life. I enjoy the process of learning, the idea of being uncomfortable and uncompetent as I learn something new. But once I'm decent enough, I lose interest (except for gardening). I don't want to spend that 90% of the time to get 10% better.

I used to cross stitch when that was big, and I've quilted, and needlepointed. I got good enough and now they don't interest me as much. Also, they've sort of fallen out of favor, so getting materials is difficult even if I was still interested. So yes, that was me back then, but it isn't really me now, and trying to recapture that just wouldn't really work anymore.

But to Catherine's point, yes I used to be more fun and more open to stuff and life happened and marriage happened, and what could happen (the bad stuff that could happen) is now in my mind- and I don't think I could ever be as spontaneous and full of life like I was at 22 ever again. And that is kinda sad.

I am working on figuring this out right now. I've had the opportunity here in my mid-50s to take time and think about these things, and potentially act upon them.

Heady and freeing.

No answers yet.

I think you “scanners” are weird! You all are constantly scanning the world for new things that interest you. You take up and put down hobbies. You flit from one thing to another! Yes, dillitantes you are! Haha just ribbingnyou.

I think of myself as having had pretty much the same macro interests since I was 20 years old – Victorian architecture and castellated architecture, Bulldogs and flat faced pets, flowers and flower gardening, interior design. My micro interests have faded away, though.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I am working on figuring this out right now. I've had the opportunity here in my mid-50s to take time and think about these things, and potentially act upon them.

Heady and freeing.

No answers yet.
    it is a good time of life.

Thread Information