Thread: Cottage being torn down

Cottage being torn down

I just heard from an old friend of mine whose family also owned a cottage in the neighborhood my beloved great-aunt did from 1914 to 1973. (Where I spent all my growing-up years in the summer).

The cottage was sold last year and it seems that the new owner is going to tear it down. I used to have nightmares about this happening. Not that there is any way I would ever have gone back there, but it is symbolic of the end of my summer nirvana experience. My aunt gave me stability, serenity, class, beauty, creativity and joy by having me there every summer. It was an oasis from the more chaotic homefront I had the rest of the year.

It makes me sad, but things in life move on, while I will continue to cherish those memories.

I'm attaching a jpeg montage. It's a group of pictures of the cottage, my aunt, dad, grandmother and a young me.

cottage.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Sad to hear about but you do have lovely memories to cherish.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Awwww, sad.

Our architect mentioned “you could build something really spectactular here” (in Hermann) and we have the means, but I like our funny little old 1940’s cottage-type house and we aint gonna destroy it. I am emotionally attached to it.

However, we are felling trees like no ones’ business and that is concerning some of the neighbors. Remember, in Iris’ world trees are The Enemy and old houses are What is Worth Preserving! Haha.

Catherine,
    I remember being surprised to hear years ago that 2 of the elementary schools that I attended had been torn down. When you are young you can't imagine things changing, but of course time marches on.

It must be tough, though, to see a beloved homestead go away. Another lesson about the impermanence of life? Darn. (or as a friend always says, "is this another f8&%ing lesson?!) haha Definitely enjoy your memories, thanks for the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Remember, in Iris’ world trees are The Enemy and old houses are What is Worth Preserving! Haha.
    Your only flaw, IL.

Have you ever been to this website? I follow it on Facebook and she often comes up with fun photos. https://hookedonhouses.net
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have not been able to go back to my parents property since I signed the papers. We owned one side of the street with five wooded acres and our house in the middle acre. Now two Mcmansions have been put in on either side. I just can't look...… I'll hold on to my memories of long lazy days building forts in the forest by the creek. My dad is rolling in his grave for sure...

I know that our little Austin bungalow will come down soon enough. Wealthy people want to live in that hood and ordinary and small just won't do. I remember every nook and cranny with love so it pains me.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Your only flaw, IL.

Have you ever been to this website? I follow it on Facebook and she often comes up with fun photos. https://hookedonhouses.net
    I fell down that rabbir hole od hooked onhouses the last time you suggested it! But Have not been there for a while.

Thread Information