Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for sewing machine

Recommendations for sewing machine

Well, I've energized myself thinking about exercising my atrophied creative muscles and I am going to try to make slipcovers for the two wing chairs we bought.

I no longer have a sewing machine, except for the early 20th C Singer Featherweight I use as a bookend.

I have enough American Express points to purchase a new machine for free--I have about $170 worth and I wouldn't mind throwing in more cash if I have to to get a good quality machine.

It doesn't have to have a lot of bells and whistles. I will never use 600 embroidery stitches, or even 2. I would like an automatic needle-threader, and a good tension-sensor, and the ability to do handle upholstery and/or heavy-weight fabrics.

Any suggestions?

After I use it, my DD and I can share it, so if my enthusiasm runs dry, I'll simply give it to her.

Here is one I'm considering:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...MGRVSZAEFNSC6M
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have an old White Jeans Machine that I love, and it would be sturdy enough for slipcover fabrics. No automatic threader (too old for that!). The White company is now Husqvarna/Viking. My Viking machine is great too, but not quite as good with heavy duty fabrics as the Jeans Machine. And either brand is now pricey! If you are open to a rebuilt model, either of those machines would be a good basic machine.
    Mrs. Hermit

I have a Featherweight too--they're excellent little machines.

I'd look into the Janome line--maybe this one, which seems to get good reviews:
    https://smile.amazon.com/Janome-2212...%2C218&sr=8-19

I have an antique--circa 1970--Bernina that runs like a dream. If you're lucky, you can find one used:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ber...dCSN:rk:3:pf:0

Have you considered asking a sewing machine repair person? They usually have some for sale or know someone who wants to sell. They also will tell you which is easy to repair or requires a lot of repair.
    I had a top of the line Husqvarna that I loved but when the computer died, the cost of repair exceeded a new machine. Watch out for the computer-based machines! At present I have a basic Kenmore made by Janome that seems to be working quite well but I don't know about the heavy fabric ability.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I don't know anyone who had good luck with Singer. I love my Janome. This one is a sound basic: https://www.amazon.com/Janome-Machin...crafts&sr=1-73

I don't believe mechanical machines have been made for decades. They all have computer drive.

As I recall, my mother made slipcovers on our old treadle machine, so you may not need a heavy-duty model.

Back in the day I made lots of bedroom decor stuff with my Featherwright, and I was sewing through thick velvets and velveteen, double layers. It wasnt great, but it worked. I would think it would sew through double layers of cotton duck, a common slipcover fabric.

Dont discount what your Featherweight will do. It is a workhorse!!! And think about it—getting a sewing machine specifically to make slip covers seems complicated to me. But in my house slipcovers are not for us because
    I wash furniture covers so regularly (due to dogs) that I do not want ro wrestle them on and off weekly. I use, as furniture covers, bedspreads I bought for this pirpose in a matching plain color. But
    i understand you would want something that looks nicer.

Thanks for everyone's responses. Razz, I took your suggestion and went to a vacuum cleaner/sewing machine sales and service place, and unfortunately the sewing machine expert was not there. They had two old machines for sale, neither of which I would consider buying. Actually, Mrs.Hermit, one of them was a White, and I was thinking about your recommendation, but this one came with a cabinet, which I don't need (my house in VT is so small, it would take up too much space).

I think I'm probably going to go a more frugal route, based on what Jane and IL said about maybe not needing a heavy-weight. I gave my DD an entry-level machine a few Christmases back. It truly is a very basic model, because I didn't know if she'd like sewing or not.

She mentioned the other day that she doesn't use it because her boyfriend has a much nicer machine (he's in the shoe design industry), so she uses his. I think I'll ask if I can use the one that I bought her, and if I really am struggling with working through 4 layers (I'm thinking of the piping) then I'll consider getting my own, and take y'all's advice into account.

Thanks again!

BTW, I can't use my featherweight because I lost some key parts (like the electrical cable) a long time ago. I could buy a new one, but what's the point?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

That Featherweight is a valuable asset even without a cord (about $15 to replace the cord). Due to its popularity, almost everything needed is available. I inherited my Mom's which she got in 1953 and used thru all us kids,

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+cord&_sacat=0

So are you going to sell or donate the Featherweight? They're quite popular among quilters.

Thread Information