Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for sewing machine

Wow.. interesting info on the Featherweight. Jane, right now, I'm not considering getting rid of it, because it reminds me of my great-aunt who taught me how to sew, and I used that machine to do all the sewing I mentioned in the "True Self" thread. Now you guys have me wondering if I should recondition the Featherweight and buy the parts I need to get it back in business.

I found the instruction manual for the buttonhole attachment (which is a little more complicated than the ones they have today, to say the least), and the copyright on that was 1939, so I believe this one is the one I have based on the date and the picture:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-193...orig_cvip=true
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+cord&_sacat=0

So are you going to sell or donate the Featherweight? They're quite popular among quilters.
    I know I was surprised the first time I saw one at a flea market priced aroind $400. That was probably a high price, but it did not occur to me that it would have any worth at all prior to that.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Wow.. interesting info on the Featherweight. Jane, right now, I'm not considering getting rid of it, because it reminds me of my great-aunt who taught me how to sew, and I used that machine to do all the sewing I mentioned in the "True Self" thread. Now you guys have me wondering if I should recondition the Featherweight and buy the parts I need to get it back in business.

I found the instruction manual for the buttonhole attachment (which is a little more complicated than the ones they have today, to say the least), and the copyright on that was 1939, so I believe this one is the one I have based on the date and the picture:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-193...orig_cvip=true
    ummmm, ok. I should keep my mouth shut about this, and because I am involved with a big house clean out right now I am a wee bit wacko about the issue of STUFF but I gotta shout at you: catherine! Come to your senses! You dont get to keep non functional sewing machines for sentimental reasons AND ALSO move to a 750 sq ft cottage.

Thank you for letting me yell at you so that I can blow off this steam and get back to my friend who is cleaning out her 3,000 sq ft house who cannot make decisions about getting rid of stuff (although with her, sentiment isnt a big pull.) You all will undoubtedly hear more from me about this drama.

haha! I get it, IL, but I truly don't have that many super sentimental pieces that I am going to find impossible to get rid of, and as I said, the sewing machine makes a great bookend. We do have built-in shelving in the cottage. But I'll take your recommendation under advisement.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

It is the smallest most useful sewing machine out there. Cute as heck too. There is a featherweight group on Facebook and a company that does maintenance classes and sells all kinds of FW stuff. Here is a laugh. They had a FW cruise this year and it was so popular they are going to Hawaii next year. You bring your FW and get it all fixed up, learn how to take care of it and work on it, and sew of course.

At one time I had about 11 and have sold off all but 4.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    It is the smallest most useful sewing machine out there. Cute as heck too. There is a featherweight group on Facebook and a company that does maintenance classes and sells all kinds of FW stuff. Here is a laugh. They had a FW cruise this year and it was so popular they are going to Hawaii next year. You bring your FW and get it all fixed up, learn how to take care of it and work on it, and sew of course.

Wow... sure enough I went on Facebook, and I see what you mean... and a cruise?? That's amazing! Actually, that Hawaii cruise sounds like fun!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post

A cruise! That IS funny!

Catherine, I do encourage you to refurbish the featherweight if you want to keep it. It will serve you well instead of a new machine. As a quilter, I can tell you YES, quilters drool over them on a regular basis.

If you need to do a quick heavy duty project, rent an industrial machine for a week.

Another funny: You can get your FW painted and new decals added. Any color or color combination. Just saw one in a two tone red and gold with a longhorn decal on the bed and a saying on the back.

They have been done in pink, purple, red, etc. Any color a car can be painted. I have also seen the Texas flag reimagined on a FW.

Too much money for me however but I have lots of ideas for a paint job.

Sweetana, why do quilters like these machines so much?

Thread Information