Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Book Lovers May Identify with This

I don't have THAT many books I'm emotionally attached to, so it was relatively easy to "Kondo" about 225 of them last year. My "keepers" fall under spirituality, permaculture/simple living/gardening, and some key self-help books (the ones that literally changed my life). Also, I have a small collection of autographed books that I got from the actual people themselves--I have T. Boone Pickens book that he autographed for DH and I when we met him in rather unusual circumstances in the 80s; I met Joyce Carol Oates in the 80s and had her sign American Appetites. I also had the opportunity to meet some authors at book-signings: Michael Pollen, John Lithgow, Deepak Chopra.

One of my favorite autographed books came from Duane Elgin, the author of Voluntary Simplicity. At one point he was huge in the VS movement, if you guys recall. So one day I noticed he was giving a talk in NYC at this place where they do new-age type lectures and workshops. I was so psyched!!! I got out of work early, but of course the train was delayed and I was really upset because I figured that would mean I'd have to stand at the back of the room and I'd barely be able to see him.

So I signed in and they directed me upstairs and when I opened the door, I was shocked. There was Duane, in a circle of about six other people. He waved me over, and said, "Sit down!" And in the conversation that followed it was apparent that no one really knew his stature in the VS movement. I had brought my second-hand copy of Voluntary Simplicity with me, and at the end I asked him to sign it, and I made it a point to mention what a pioneer he was in the movement, so that these young NYC whippersnappers would know to whom they had been speaking.

I'll never give THAT book away.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

That is a great story about Duane Elgin. Yeah, unless the author is Stephen King or etc it is amazing how up close and personal you can get to them.

I have autographs from Joseph Heller, Scott Turow (I was his assistant at a book signing) and Frank Herbert who wrote the sci fi Dune series, Jane Smiley ‘s Pulitzer novel (I met her at the copy machine at the library where I worked.) None of these are from Librarynconferences because I never wanted to stand in line to get autographed copies of books, the lines were long. I have an inscribed copy of a book by Dave Barry, the humor writer. He wrote in the book “To my closest personal friend!” which is funny since of course I do not know him.

Funny we are talking about this because I am, this week, setting up a sale on ebay, getting rid of an old Paul Simon songbook, a special edition, signed by him and inscribed to his accountant. I hope to get $30-$50 for it, but mainly I want to get it into the hands of someone who would like to have it.

But all of these—I can jettison now. i dont care about them.

I am down to 20 physical books . The rest are kindle. Great for my allergies/asthma. Traveling all I need is my phone.

I envy you all. I live with my SO who is an absolute book hoarder, although he would use the term "collector." He has at least 1,500 books across every room of the house. We have no plans to move, but even the thought of doing something like moving those large bookcases containing hundreds of those books to replace bedroom carpeting is just about out of the question.
    No book minimalism for Lainey's house, sadly.

I've seen a suggestion that when we sort books (or anything else, for that matter), we ask ourselves whether an item is a friend, acquaintance or a stranger. Friends stay, acquaintances come and go (donate or repurpose) and strangers are kicked out (trash or donate).
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    I've seen a suggestion that when we sort books (or anything else, for that matter), we ask ourselves whether an item is a friend, acquaintance or a stranger. Friends stay, acquaintances come and go (donate or repurpose) and strangers are kicked out (trash or donate).
    My problem is that just about all ,y books feel like friends and lovers. So it was wrenching to let go of them. Keep telling myself that someone else would have joy in meeting them. that made it a tiny bit better to let them go..
    peaceful, easy feeling

For most of my adult life I've followed IrisLily's plan of letting the library keep most of my book collection. (NYC and San Francisco, where I've lived for 29 years, both have excellent, well funded libraries. When we retire and move somewhere cheaper books may become an area where I have to up my budget.) At any given time I've got 8-15 library books at home, but my permanent collection is maybe 100 books and at some point before we move again I'll probably cull that by half. The rest are "BFF's". Mostly things like cookbooks and high school yearbooks.

One thing I'm undecided on is whether to ditch my dictionary and (two) thesauruses. Thanks to the internet I haven't opened either in years and years, but it somehow just seems wrong to get rid of them.

Books used to be hard to get rid of but the more I moved the easier it got.

OK, I just counted and we have 561 books! I culled 4 as I was counting, so there will be 557, but they have not left the premises yet. I think I will work on nudging that down to 500.

I am actually hoping to go through the bookcases again this weekend. My problem is that my previous purges left the books I "want" to read, but still haven't. I need to start making more time for reading.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information