Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Artificial noise and light bombardment

Lovely thread. I think of this same thing at times, how there is constant artificial noise surrounding us. I have wondered what it must have been like in the days of settlers, pioneers etc. where the only sound, other that what you might make such as a cross cut saw, or hammering, was made by nature. Probably a neighbor (if any) would be so far away their sounds would not be audible and if the sound was not generated by yourself, the only sound then would be the sound of nature!

I live in a very small town and it is amazing the amount of artificial light there is at night. Noise not as much, but so many streetlights the night sky is hard to see. We had a power failure last year and the beauty of the night sky was breathtaking - all the stars!
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Sad Eyed Lady View Post
    Lovely thread. I think of this same thing at times, how there is constant artificial noise surrounding us. I have wondered what it must have been like in the days of settlers, pioneers etc. where the only sound, other that what you might make such as a cross cut saw, or hammering, was made by nature. Probably a neighbor (if any) would be so far away their sounds would not be audible and if the sound was not generated by yourself, the only sound then would be the sound of nature!

I live in a very small town and it is amazing the amount of artificial light there is at night. Noise not as much, but so many streetlights the night sky is hard to see. We had a power failure last year and the beauty of the night sky was breathtaking - all the stars!
    That is so true about too much night light. It really makes me sad with all the development near here, that we've lost a lot of our night sky vision. I was talking to a guy who lives out west and he said that in certain places, you just would be overwhelmed by how much you can see in the night sky. I don't understand a lot of the lights left on at night......and "security lights". No way I'd ever get one of those. And the last thing I want is more space junk out there........or anyone messing with MY moon!

To be sure, i live in the middle of a big city. There is plenty of light outside at night. However, the streetlights in our neighborhood, and all the way west to the ocean, have recently been replaced. The new ones have larger shields on top and are a more natural color. While there is still a fair amount of light under them our second story deck is now much darker and the view out to the ocean at night is much clearer. More than a couple blocks from us the neighborhood is just a dark canopy of treetops. Before it was a sea of pinpricks of light. It’s a small change but i definitely appreciate it.

Two years ago my DH, two teenage sons and I took a river rafting trip down the Colorado river through the Grand Canyon for 4 nights. Other than the constant relaxing sound of the river, there was no “modern” sounds. No cell signals, no phones or other electronics. At night we laid under the stars all night with the Milky Way so bright we could see our way around camp. Amazing. Each night I laid there in tears at what is so hidden from us. DH and I did go through some withdrawal from our electronics the first day but quickly adjusted and were at peace with our thoughts. However my two sons who were then 14 and 15 thought we had transported them to hell on earth. It was just too quiet and “boring”. Very sad.

When I think artificial noise, I tend to think of things like white noise generators. Other stuff, is just environmental/background noise. Don't like it, change your location. The house I first lived in, was three away from train tracks. I can still hear those and other tracks, trains, in the distance from my current house, and actually like that rumble of the trains, in the distance, at night, in summer with the windows open.
    Light pollution however, from the streetlight in front of the house, (the city converted all of them to try to limit light pollution), to the five towers with all their electronics, plane lights, etc. and all the other light sources (lights on houses, buildings, security lights, etc. the sky is purple and one can somewhat read by it. I wasn't the only one looking forward to a night sky, when a relative built in the country. Their inlaws on the property, however, put a security light from the electric company, without a switch, so setting up the telescope went out the door. (built a section of deck for it)

Some days, I think back to the stories of a former neighbor and other old timers, and sleeping porches.

I think I can say I can about adjust to anything. I grew up 2 blocks from the railroad tracks and a crossing where they had to blow their whistle. Then as an adult I moved even closer to the tracks, and after about 3 sleepless nights, I didn't have any more trouble.

That said, I love a retreat in the woods with nothing but chirping and water sounds. I did get to do that recently...One morning I sat up on the edge of my bed and looked out into the silence, watching the snow float diagonally by the window. I felt like I wanted to sit there forever.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    and sleeping porches.
    In our quest for a lake house we saw a few sleeping porches that were so appealing to me. There is a little cabin next door to us that has one, and I'm a bit jealous... Perhaps at some point we'll add one on to the front of the house.

Last year I slept here, and walked around the quiet grounds. No internet. I think there was a bedside lamp but that was it for electricity. I had to walk to the main building for the bathroom. And interestingly, my resting heart rate (according to my Fitbit) was the lowest it had every been up to then (or since).
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    In our quest for a lake house we saw a few sleeping porches that were so appealing to me. There is a little cabin next door to us that has one, and I'm a bit jealous... Perhaps at some point we'll add one on to the front of the house.

Last year I slept here, and walked around the quiet grounds. No internet. I think there was a bedside lamp but that was it for electricity. I had to walk to the main building for the bathroom. And interestingly, my resting heart rate (according to my Fitbit) was the lowest it had every been up to then (or since).
    Wow, those cabins and that venue look incredible!
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Mid Atlantic coast after 30 years in No CA
    This is a topic very close to my heart. I think noise/light pollution is harmful to us in some obvious--and some not-so-obvious ways...as pointed out, these pollutions can affect our blood pressure and our heart rate. Can cause stress. Craziness.

We moved from 38 years in a large metro when I felt as though I was drawn too tight. The police were using copters to track miscreants. There were lots of jets overhead approaching one of two nearby airports. Sirens. Car alarms. Distant sounds of freeway--all night long. Dogs barking. Lots of construction and power tools whining away too close at hand.
    Yikes. I was ready to snap.

I longed/yearned for nature, quietude.

We moved to a coastal village of about 5000 people. Sometimes, the quiet is so quiet, so deep it's almost noisy in its own way. Love the seasons when we can have windows open and only hear the crickets and cicadas and the bird calls and songs. Or the wind in the trees.

I so needed this!

We've made our bedroom our quiet zone. It's very uncluttered, painted a soft salmon and cream, billowy cream-colored drapes, only two conch shells (I imitated their color in the paint scheme) to gaze at--and no electronics at all. Zip. I love sleeping there.

Feeling much more grounded and at peace since our move. Bright lights/big city worked for me when I was younger. Now give me deep quiet or nature sounds.
    peaceful, easy feeling

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHiker View Post

We moved to a coastal village of about 5000 people. Sometimes, the quiet is so quiet, so deep it's almost noisy in its own way. Love the seasons when we can have windows open and only hear the crickets and cicadas and the bird calls and songs. Or the wind in the trees.

We've made our bedroom our quiet zone. It's very uncluttered, painted a soft salmon and cream, billowy cream-colored drapes, only two conch shells (I imitated their color in the paint scheme) to gaze at--and no electronics at all. Zip. I love sleeping there.
    That sounds wonderful, HH. I'm with you. Give me the woods.

Thread Information