Thread: Annual Personal Retreat 2019

Annual Personal Retreat 2019

I'm back from my annual personal retreat (birthday escape). I took a week this year...really needed to recharge. Decided to check out one of Missouri's newer state parks, Echo Bluff, about 3 hours away. Perfect season to go. I was a little apprehensive about staying in a lodge room, usually I rent an entire cabin when I do my retreats. The lodge was perfect this time of year. In fact, 3 out of 4 nights I was the only guest in the lodge. The staff knew why I was there and promised to stay out of my way upon arrival. Each room has a balcony and gas fireplace along with micro/fridge. Thankfully I brought most of my own food but I did dine alone at the restaurant a couple evenings (had to use the dessert coupons they gave me as a birthday gift!). They gave me a corner room overlooking Sinking Creek under the bluff. Stunning views. That room also had the weakest wi-fi signal which was perfect. I was there to unplug.

I spent a lot of time hiking and just being outdoors. There are a lot of springs and mills in the area to visit and being off-season (Current River and Jack's Fork River float season doesn't start for another week or so) I found myself alone everywhere I went so it was perfect! Though there are several thousand acres of forest I was hoping to find a band or two of the wild horses that are protected in the area. I managed to find 3 and enjoyed watching them 20 minutes or so. I did not spy any Elk, though my dad was there a couple weeks ago and saw several large herds. The Conservation Dept had a meeting there specifically about the Elk a week before my dad was there and they couldn't find any of them either so I don't feel so bad! Made my list for the year 53 by 53 and was glad to check off a few more things from last year's list 52 by 52. Ran the typical trends of Missouri weather in late February. Started out blissfully warm, ended with rain then ice/snow.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Sounds like it was just about the perfect getaway... A little jealous, I have to admit.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Sounds fun!

I always love hearing your annual personal retreat stories. It sounds great, and I am happy that the staff was supportive of your intentions to be there. A great way to start a new personal year.

I also enjoy hearing about FloatOn's birthday retreats! What a great idea--especially for us introverts! The idea of a Party of One for my birthday sounds great! Maybe one of these days I'll plan one.

Thanks for the lovely details.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Happy belated birthday, FloatOn---how have I missed these reports in years past? Sounds like it was wonderful. Hope it was exactly what you'd hoped.

I also had a 3-day "to myself for myself" mini-retreat last week. I discovered I had not had a vacation for a year (!!) and also having recently had a major personal undoing (and finding myself in counseling and on new medications) I decided to book myself into the "local" (upriver about an hour away) hot springs and spa. It is a very, very, old mineral hot springs resort with old claw-foot tubs. On Tuesdays you can do the "25-25-25," soak for 25 min., wrap tightly in warm flannel sheets for 25 min.-- for $25. So I did that, plus as a paid guest I had whenever I wanted access to the public pool, too. Which is really hot. In case you're interested-- https://carsonhotspringresort.com/

It was snowy outside and each day I went out to see what kind of tracks I could see. The sky was so blue and the wind was so cold....but this was just the vigor I needed. The room only had a fridge and coffee pot. I brought all my own food as there is no restaurant. I brought books to read (no tv), hand embroidery, and did a vision board with materials I had gathered over a week or so beforehand.

When I got home I had a totally new outlook. I guess the meds have kicked in too. I'm so grateful my husband trusted me on my own in the snowy hills. He knew I really needed this.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Sounds like Heaven. I play with the idea of doing what you do. I need to make it more intentional. Thanks for the inspiration. I don't live too far from Missouri, so that may have to check out that state park!

KayLR, that place looks amazing.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

KayLR and Float on, What a joy to hear about your retreats? I've never done one and you are giving me ideas. Kay, glad the meds and counseling are helping as well as the retreat.

Boy, does that sound great to me right now. Except for the part about being outdoors in the snow. I'm more of a fall or spring weather person!

Thread Information