Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coincidences

Coincidences

I'd love to hear about strange coincidences people have experienced. Doesn't have to be the "Universe speaking" or any other metaphysical attribution--I just think coincidences are fun and amazing.

I was thinking about that when looking at the paint color in my family room. It's Silver Sage by Restoration Hardware. One time, about a year or two after I had painted my family room, my son came by and mentioned that his girlfriend was painting their apartment. I asked him what color she picked, and he said "Silver Sage." What are the chances of that?? Have you ever seen how many paint chips ONE paint store has, never mind taking into consideration all the different paint companies there are?

But my favorite coincidence occurred on a family vacation to Virginia Beach, when we discovered that the random mother in front of us when we were playing a round of miniature golf had my same name. AND her daughter had my daughter's same name.... AND to our utter astonishment, their last name was the same as ours!! What are the chances of THAT happening??

How about you? Any really bizarre coincidences to tell us about?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

At one time. my neighbor across the street and the one next door were both named slight variations of the same name--let's say Meryl/Marilee De Vore/DaFour.

Also, many years ago, I was enjoying a couple of beers with classmates who were talking about birthdays. Thinking fondly of an old boyfriend, I asserted that I was looking for someone born on July 28. One of the guys (whom I had a huge crush on) flipped his driver's license at me--July 28! That turned out very well...

All of these are Scottish coincidences

I. Circa 1987 Scotland on the ferry to the small Isle of Arran:

My parents from Iowa were vacationing in Scotland, and Arran was on their itinerary. They were sitting on the ferry during the ride to Arran, discussing family stuff, talking about farms, Iowa etc. A nice Scottish lady overheard them and said she had a sister living in Iowa. On a farm.

They exchanged further information and found that —this nice lady was DH’s auntie! At the time he was my boyfriend not my DH. Whoah! Small world.

Now I will say that my parents knew DH had an aunt there and they said they might look her up, but to run into her that way in the ferry, randomly, and to identify their common feiends/family—pretty crazy.

II.

Circa 1977 Scotland in the small town of Huntly

I was visiting The U.K. on a “places in literature” tour of my own devising. I visited Huntly because the library there had some manuscript I have since forgotten, I think it was a George Mcdonald piece.

The librarian there chatted with me and I told her that after my Huntly stay, I was on my way to visit my Midwestern friend from college who was attending St. Andrews University. It turns out that this librarian knew my friend. Random!

III.

circa 1998. Isle of Arran, Brodick Castle.

DH and I were taking a tour of this castle and I kept noticing the floral arrangements. They were outstanding because they used natural, seasonal materials and were perfectly suited in color and form to their background. They were so sensitively done for their surroundings, it was remarkable. I commented on the floral designs and our guide said that the woman who did them came weekly to make florals for the castle. She didnt give the floral designer’s name but said “ she is the harbor master’s wife.”

well. That floral designer was DH’s cousin! And we did not know she did floral designs because her mother, the nice
    Scottish lady in coincidence #1 was estranged from her daughter and the two didnt talk. We were staying with the nice Scottish aunt and had had no word of that particular daughter.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-5-19 at 6:25pm.

My retired cousin lives in one of the frigid northern states and drives to Texas for a few of the winter months. One year they stopped over in a small Arizona touristy town on the way and took a hike in a popular nature area. Along the way somehow his wallet fell out of his pocket. Hiking back to the car a fellow called out, hey Smith (not his real name) is this your wallet. The man had recognized him from the ID photos in the wallet he had found. Of course cousin was very happy. The next year he was taking the same trip to Texas, stopped in the same Arizona town, and took the same hike. And a fellow yelled out, hey Smith, is that you. It was the same guy who found his wallet the year before.

I might have to think about a few more, but I am always surprised at what a small world it is when it comes to running across people you have known or various connections that seem more than coincidence. As a kid we took a family trip to the NY World's Fair, which had a giant throng of visitors. We ran into one of my grade school pals and his mother who was my cub scout den mother, some 1500 miles from home. Had no idea they were going at the same time.

That wallet story is great!
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-6-19 at 10:51am.

Love this thread! I think there are so many things that happen to us that if we take a moment to examine are touched by the out-of-ordinary. Whether these be deemed coincidences, the "universe" getting out attention, or whatever, they are definitely interesting. I will have to think about some of the more unusual that have happened to me but meanwhile I love reading about all of yours. One that first came to mind when reading this thread happened to me over 50 years ago. DH and I were dating then, I was in Kentucky, he had left for part of his military service in CA. We wrote letters, sent cards, and so on. One day I was in a Hallmark store and found a card that resonated with me so I bought it and sent it off to him in a day or so. Then, in a day or so I received a card from him and when I opened I at first felt a bit confused wondering why he would send my own card back to me. Out of 2 Hallmark stores, thousands of miles apart, we had each picked the very same card and mailed it around the very same time!

Looking forward to reading more of these "coincidence" stories!
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

This is a fun thread. One coincidence was when I took my teaching job- 300 miles from home- a teacher walked by my room and said I have to meet this Ms. S(long hard last name) and she pronounced it correctly. Turns out she was my older sister's good friend in high school teaching at the same school where I took the job... Another time my sister came to visit, we took the bus, then subway to DC- went the wrong way- got off the orange line and as we were coming out, down the elevator came my friend who worked in DC. It was rush hour! What are the odds of that? Another time my husband and I were in Atlanta visiting a college friend- in the pool was a 10 year old who called my husband's name. Turns out she was his student who had moved from the DC area to Atlanta that summer and we ended up in the same swimming pool! I love when stuff like this happens and I'm enjoying reading other people's coincidences.

Although my mom and I loved each other there were a lot of conflicts in our relationship. She was a huge personality and her last days drove home to me that her life would not end with us having put that behind us. She was a creature of habit and each early evening sat down with a glass of Black Box chardonnay and played several hands of solitaire. When she died I actually had her cremated with a Black Box of chardonnay so she could have a glass whenever she got to where she was going. A couple of weeks after her service I was really missing her and went for a hike. I was out in the middle of nowhere in a deeply forested area. I was having a dialog with her as I walked talking about how I wished our relationship had been different and what I wouldn't give to have a glass of wine and a chat. I rounded a corner and low and behold there was an empty Black Box of chardonnay in the middle of the trail. No other garbage anywhere around...….

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Although my mom and I loved each other there were a lot of conflicts in our relationship. She was a huge personality and her last days drove home to me that her life would not end with us having put that behind us. She was a creature of habit and each early evening sat down with a glass of Black Box chardonnay and played several hands of solitaire. When she died I actually had her cremated with a Black Box of chardonnay so she could have a glass whenever she got to where she was going. A couple of weeks after her service I was really missing her and went for a hike. I was out in the middle of nowhere in a deeply forested area. I was having a dialog with her as I walked talking about how I wished our relationship had been different and what I wouldn't give to have a glass of wine and a chat. I rounded a corner and low and behold there was an empty Black Box of chardonnay in the middle of the trail. No other garbage anywhere around...….
    This made me smile.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

That's a nice story, Simplemind!