Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too much glue on bandaids

Too much glue on bandaids

I know part of it is that my skin has become so fragile. I have splits in my skin right next to my fingernails and have learned to make my own bandaids, because the "real" ones were too hard to pull off.

I poked myself on my hand with a knife accidentally yesterday and thought I'd use one of the bandaids, since it would just be in a straight line on my hand and not around a finger. Well, when I tried to gently pull it off, it pulled about an inch of skin off. OUCH.

Seems like all the different types of bandaids now-a-days just have too strong a glue on them. Anyone else seeing this? Or is it just part and parcel of being an old fart?

It's been a long, long time since I needed a bandage, but I've always had the opposite problem
    It's quite possible that they've changed their adhesive, though.

Yeah, I'm thinking that people complained about them coming off too easily, so they switched to super glue! I can understand that being on their "extra strong/waterproof" ones, but even the ones that are listed as "comfortable", are the same.

I wonder if there's a lot of variance between brands?

Whatever they use at the doctors' office on me sticks like cement, and I have a nasty reaction to the adhesive.

The cheap bulk-brand bandaids I have left over from 5+ year old first aid kits stick very lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I wonder if there's a lot of variance between brands?

Whatever they use at the doctors' office on me sticks like cement, and I have a nasty reaction to the adhesive.

The cheap bulk-brand bandaids I have left over from 5+ year old first aid kits stick very lightly.
    That's a good suggestion bae. Dollar General here I come. (Of course, then I'll complain about them falling off all the time).

Not about bandaids, but CathyA,here is what I do for splitting skin around fingernails in the winter:

I load up Vaseline on my fingers at night and then put on plastic gloves to sleep.

usually with this overnight treatment they are healed, for the day anyway, and I may have to repeat it the following night.

Thanks for the tip, IL. Since I have gotten older, I have those splits by my fingernails all year long. I have one that is so old and calloused, I don't think it will ever go away. I try to wear dishwashing gloves whenever I wash dishes (don't have a dishwasher), but if I do just a couple things without the gloves, that dang cut splits back open. My nails also separate easily from the nailbed at the top, which is painful too. It's amazing how painful those little fingernail cuts can be.

Funny thing......(about what I said about complaining about them falling off if they didn't use super glue)..........I found a plastic bandaid this morning in my drawer and put it on that injury. I went grocery shopping, and the whole time that bandaid kept trying to fall off. haha I just wish the bandaid companies could do something in the middle....between too much glue and not enough. Oh well.......there are worse problems in life........

We dont injure ourselves often enough to keep bandaids on hand. If i knick a finger while cooking or whatever i take a paper towel, fold it into a 2 inch wide strip, roll it around my finger and use a strip of electrical tape to secure it. Besides not having to deal with adhessive on skin it also allows me to take it off and replace it, for instance to use the restroom and wash my hands.

Ouch that sucks. I know my daughter struggles with severe excema. We have tried everything. She likes aquafor the best, but there are other hypoallergenic brands. The one alternative type treatment we found was supplements with flax oil or fish oil capsules. It helps create the foundations of healthy skin.

I use a lot of bandaids with kids and haven't had that issue at all, at most a slight reaction. My suggestion is to soak in warm water to take it off, maybe even rub the edges with baby oil or petroleum jelly. For fingertips I usually wrap a light layer of gauze and then snip the finger off a stretchy plastic glove. I put the fingertip piece over it to hold everything in place. If it gets wet you can replace the gauze and reuse the finger tip or cut another fingertip off the glove.

I hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    I use a lot of bandaids with kids and haven't had that issue at all, at most a slight reaction. My suggestion is to soak in warm water to take it off, maybe even rub the edges with baby oil or petroleum jelly. For fingertips I usually wrap a light layer of gauze and then snip the finger off a stretchy plastic glove. I put the fingertip piece over it to hold everything in place. If it gets wet you can replace the gauze and reuse the finger tip or cut another fingertip off the glove.
    I hope that helps.
    You can also get just the finger protectors--finger cots--that are the finger tips without the rest of the gloves.

Thread Information