Thread: Stinky fridge

Stinky fridge

I keep buying fresh food and eating some of it and then forgetting some, leading to stinky fridge! I share a fridge so this is even worse, I don't want to affect others of course. The last thing was a tasty lentil soup which I only had half of and then saved.

So I am moving towards less cooking, more frozen and canned. There are some fresh foods I always eat, peppers, berries and clementines. The lentil soup in a can is as good as mine, and doesn't spoil. Many frozen meals are healthy and I can afford them. Cooking for one just isn't the same.

Get into the habit that restaurants do of dating everything. Then give yourself an eat by date. Freeze things like lentil soup in serving sized packages and then reheat when you need them. Date them also. Your soup will have much less salt and probably more nutrition than the canned versions.

I have soup, lasagna, and muffins in the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    I keep buying fresh food and eating some of it and then forgetting some, leading to stinky fridge! I share a fridge so this is even worse, I don't want to affect others of course. The last thing was a tasty lentil soup which I only had half of and then saved.

So I am moving towards less cooking, more frozen and canned. There are some fresh foods I always eat, peppers, berries and clementines. The lentil soup in a can is as good as mine, and doesn't spoil. Many frozen meals are healthy and I can afford them. Cooking for one just isn't the same.
    I agree with sweetana,. Your own home-made soup is probably worth making and dating. Then maybe you could freeze half? Canned soups can be really good, but watch the salt and other preservatives. DH is now on a low-sodium diet and I'm astounded at how much salt is in packaged foods. Of course, I knew it in a general way, but once you start counting.. yikes!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I buy the expensive soup, Amy's, so it is pretty good. I have things in the freezer, like when my mom makes cookies and pumpkin bread. I eat very little at a time. I also don't have a lot of tupperware type stuff. I have it in storage but I don't want to un-bury it. So tonight I had pancakes and veggie sausages.

I did get bell peppers and hummus, plus cottage cheese and berries for a no sugar breakfast. I am aware of sugar like you are about sodium, added sugar is in everything! It took me 5 minutes at my last grocery trip to find a pasta sauce that had no added sugar, even my favorite sauces have started to add sugar. I got a breakfast bar/cookie kind of thing with NO SUGAR. I am going to try it for second breakfast tomorrow.

Oh I forgot to add one of the issues I have is not knowing what i will feel like eating, or that I can actually tolerate. A side effect of my medication really. I am just adapting by not overcooking or trying to eat leftovers. It could be a year before I was able to eat the soup again. My lunches are all basically grown up lunchables already, I can adjust the type of crackers and cheese and things like olives or cherry tomatoes pretty easily based on what I can eat that dayl.

ZG, just do the canned soup if you want. I do a lot of canned soup myself.

I use zip lock baggies to freeze single servings. (Decided not to buy more Tupperware when all the lids were worn out)

Thread Information