Thread: Another cute small house--1940s "off-grid" cottage in Ireland

Another cute small house--1940s "off-grid" cottage in Ireland

"Off-grid" is in quotation marks because this isn't any high-tech hipster tiny house.

This is an adorable thatched roof cottage without electricity or heat (except for the fire). The owner was born in it and still lives there. What a cute house, what a cute lady, and an inspiration. I would love to say that I could live without electricity, but I think I'm hopelessly addicted to the internet and my kindle. The rest I could manage.

This includes an article and two short videos at the bottom.

https://ireland-calling.com/lifestyl...lYThT119gkgJKk

ETA: I made a BIG mistake on the age of the house: It is 280 years old!!!! I think I confused the age of the house with the age of the owner!! (she was born in 1942)

Meanwhile, here we push down houses that were built in 1950.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I love her comment "Peolple come to look at me as if I am an endangered species. " Very nice article. Thanks for sharing.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Love t! I have a windup radio, too. Use it at my bedside when I’m reading in bed if I’m not listening to something online. Her comment of “thought for the day” indicates she is listening to BBC Radio 4, which I listen to online.

I had a teacher in the 60s who lived off grid without running water. He and his partner actually homesteaded within a very long drive to Anchorage, AK. He never missed a day of work. They had to use snowmobiles to get down to their truck in the winter. I only learned this decades later when my Dad did some surveying work for them and we got to visit the cabin. NO WAY.

When your life is reduced to getting water, heating water, staying warm, and cooking, it is too limiting.

Thread Information