Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Gardens

Yppej
    There is some type of weed in my yard the rabbits like. The basil has come back in the heat and I bought a parsley plant today I will keep in the house. The dill is doing okay and I have started to get tomatoes, but no domesticated strawberries although the wild ones produced fruit.

Yppej: Apparently they love clover, so if you have some of that they will enjoy it.

Yppej
    This is a different weed. I have clover also.

Yppej
    This week I have been harvesting blueberries. I have only one bush so it's about a handful at a time.

I'm growing eggplant for the first time. So far they are looking pretty good with a number of fruit on each plant. Anyone with experience, are there any tips for success throughout the season?
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I harvested about 12 oz of Early Italian Purple Garlic, and bagged it in a repurposed onion bag. In separate storage I am saving 7 of the largest bulbs, which I plan to divide into individual cloves and plant on October 14 (Columbus Day).

"California Dreamin"... Ah, to be in Gilroy July 26-28 for the Garlic Festival! People braid it, wear it, compete cooking with it, and (infamously) eat garlic ice cream.

000_0320 (2).jpg

As usual, I have a mystery melon/squash that started in the compost pile. I moved it to one of my lasagna beds and it is gigantic. Last year, it turned out to be a butternut. Habitat had shopping carts fully of seed packets 10 for $1 so I bought about 30 different ones. Almost time to put in fall plantings. Between the harsh sun, hail, wind and monsoon rain, gardening is a real challenge here in Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    I harvested about 12 oz of Early Italian Purple Garlic, and bagged it in a repurposed onion bag. In separate storage I am saving 7 of the largest bulbs, which I plan to divide into individual cloves and plant on October 14 (Columbus Day).
    "California Dreamin"... Ah, to be in Gilroy July 26-28 for the Garlic Festival! People braid it, wear it, compete cooking with it, and (infamously) eat garlic ice cream.

North Plains, Oregon has a garlic festival, so I've had garlic ice cream and enjoyed it. But then, garlic is the stuff of life itself.

The star of my gardens this year is Plumbago! I planted two of these shrubby herbaceous plants in late May in Hermann and they have grown and bloomed for many weeks. They are lovely because they are a heavenly shade of sky blue. The deer have not touched them.

Deer have decimated my highbred daylily collection. I did not see one bloom. They are destroying the few hostas that were here when we bought the property. I will not move my nice hosta collection to Hermann only for them to become deer salad. The nasty creatures are tromping around within 9 feet of our house.

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    I'm growing eggplant for the first time. So far they are looking pretty good with a number of fruit on each plant. Anyone with experience, are there any tips for success throughout the season?
    There is such a difference between freshly harvested eggplant and eggplant that you buy in a store. Much tastier! I don’t have tips for them because I’m not the grower of vegetables, DHS, but I don’t think he does anything special with them.

Thread Information