Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Gardens

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    But then, garlic is the stuff of life itself.
    The Gilroy Garlic Festival ended very badly this year. The festival site was fenced, and there were metal detectors at the gates. But a shooter got in by cutting the fence, and reportedly used a semiautomatic rifle to inflict death to 3 people (including a 6-year-old boy) and injury to 15 others. Police arrived and killed the shooter. Elected officials and business leaders were all tweeting or talking about the crime on Sunday. For example Senator Kamala Harris remarked, Our country has a gun violence epidemic that we cannot tolerate."

I've never gardened before (vegetables). This year, I planted two tomato plants in a large tub that I had. I put them in late, because that's how I roll. I was so excited to see a tiny green tomato yesterday morning!!! It was still there this morning after our storms and wind last night!
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    The star of my gardens this year is Plumbago! I planted two of these shrubby herbaceous plants in late May in Hermann and they have grown and bloomed for many weeks. They are lovely because they are a heavenly shade of sky blue. The deer have not touched them.

Deer have decimated my highbred daylily collection. I did not see one bloom. They are destroying the few hostas that were here when we bought the property. I will not move my nice hosta collection to Hermann only for them to become deer salad. The nasty creatures are tromping around within 9 feet of our house.
    Here is an update on plumbago: it doesn’t survive through the winter, it is a tender perennial that grows in garden zone eight through 10. I am in zone six so it will not survive or winter. Bummer.

I like it so much and I may just buy it again next year at $29 a plant because it is so prolific in blooms! It is still blooming and we’re going on three months now! And the deer do not touch it even though they are chomping everything around it

Hmm. Parts of Portland veer into 9 a/b. I'll alert my gardening friends.

Iris, do you notice bees or butterflies liking the plumbago?
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I've been so busy this summer with work that my garden wound up (so far) being totally half-butt. I did get tomatoes in, but not as many as I would have liked. But I was thrilled because my neighbor gave me a couple of tomatoes he had grown from seed, but they were like little sticks. He gave two containers to our other neighbor and they're like sticks. He gave me a couple and they went bananas. He was shocked to see how green and plush they were. Given my very spotty record with a green thumb, it really made me feel good.

So, he turned over his other tomatoes and an eggplant, which are also doing pretty well. I had heard a tip from a gardener who kept up gardens at a really nice little hotel in Southern Vermont that his "secret sauce" is composted cow manure. I do fertilize, but this year I also laid down the cow manure and I'm wondering if that's helping...

Anyone else have good tips for good soil?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Had to check out plumbago. They are lovely and have a variety of colours as well. I am zone 5 so no plumbago for me. My pots have been a joy and the perennials vigorous bloomers with optimum growing conditions this year. Thought that I would share some of the pots with you.

IMG_1011.jpg
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Had to check out plumbago. They are lovely and have a variety of colours as well. I am zone 5 so no plumbago for me. My pots have been a joy and the perennials vigorous bloomers with optimum growing conditions this year. Thought that I would share some of the pots with you.

IMG_1011.jpg
    Beautiful, razz!!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Razz, your flowers are beautiful!

Yppej
    My neighbor uses something called Black Cow that I want to try.

Thread Information