Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for containing the garden hose

Ideas for containing the garden hose

When I bought this house it had a very heavy hose in a reel box, essentially by the front door. So I put some plants and garden art on top of the box, and in the warmer months the hose lays coiled on the ground to the side of it because it is just too awkward to reel it in. Well, we had several hours of freezing temps 3 nights in a row, and the hose burst at the connection in the box. Great reason to get rid of the whole mess!

(Friend down the road will take the hose if I don’t want it, cut into shorter pieces for his garden...)

I want a lighter hose, and yesterday the one I’ve been contemplating at Ace Hardware was on sale for $10 off, plus another $5 off for reward members so I got my hose for $10!!

So, dilemma and question- how to “contain” it? In the back and side yard I have simple hose hangers on the wall and fence, and they work fine but aren’t especially attractive. I don’t want that look by the front door. Ideas? Frugal ideas?
    Last edited by mschrisgo2; 2-9-19 at 3:41pm. Reason: spelling!

I only hook up the hose when I use, keep it in the garage in a pot otherwise. But, we don't use a hose more than 2 or 3 times a year.

We bought retractable hose reels. I have gardens all around the house and got so tired of dragging hoses. I also won't roll them back up (I get flusterpated) so my husband was always doing it behind me. These reels are the bomb. Love, love, love them. Keeps everything neat and tidy. It also keeps the hoses away from sun damage.

I dont have good suggestions. I should, ut dont.

I got, for free, one of the new fangled fabric hoses and it seems ok, it doesnt get so twisted up as the other tupes do.

We got a while back a "side table" which matched our outdoor chairs. It had a hose reel inside of it. It's a PITA to use, so we don't. Have used a hose "comb" from Lee Valley. Works fine, not so attractive. Have currently got the hose on a hook. There's hose pots, but they're expensive!

We use the fabric hoses and just put them in a pile when not using it.

I switched to the fabric hose in front as I couldn't lug the heavy one around without smashing flowers. I use it and put it away in the garage which is a hassle but I am told it will last longer if kept out of the elements when not in use.

We also seldom use the hose, but I bought one of the fabric ones and just keep it in the garage in a little bucket. Yesterday we had someone come to work on the gutters and had to find the old hoses to reach the front of the house....so heavy!

I repurposed an old rectangular enclosed compost bin (which had broken in the freezing cold) to hold the coiled-up hose. Made me feel better about not tossing all of that recycled black plastic and hides the hose much better than other options (some of which would have had to have been purchased). One of these, minus the sections around the door at the bottom:
    compost bin.jpeg
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I just curl up my hose next to the spigot on top of a small section of river rock. It doesn't seem any less unsightly than a hose container of some sort to me. I've had one of the hose hangers that screws into siding near the spigot and it wasn't worth the effort to use.

Thread Information