Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Gardens

Pinkytoe.......That should make good mulch. And you'll probably see it grow a lot of cute little mushrooms. We bought a chipper/shredder last year, so that will come in handy. I had DH put all the branches in a big pile for habitat and had him leave the big parts of the trunk just on the ground. We have lots of space out here, so we can do sort of "messy" things like that. After the needles fall off (which should take a while), we'll shred all the branches. Too bad we can't use the bigger wood for the fireplace. I guess the sap can mess it up too much. Post a picture of your stair step thing once you get it going. I'm obsessed with planting trees, so I'll probably plant a couple where the big one fell. Have you decided yet if you're going to plant anything in that spot?

I am contemplating something like a Big Tooth Maple. Apparently there are some species that are native to the area.

This year I have 6 Okinawa Spinach plants growing in pots on a deck. They are 8-10 inches tall. I think I could start picking leaves for salads and stir-frying. I have never raised them before. Any culinary tips would be appreciated.

This is the sixth year I have been harvesting Shiitake Mushrooms off of 6 straight oak trunk sections (each log is about 5 inches in diameter and 5 feet long). I attended a workshop where I had the logs inoculated. I picked my first-of-the-season bag of of caps yesterday (about 8 ounces). Had some fabulous cream of mushroom soup!

Asparagus spears are ready to pick.

I have had some blossoms thus far: snow drops, tulips, daffodils, hyacinths ( I have pink and yellow hyacinths, but I like Blue Jackets best).

000_0292 (2).JPG

We’ve both been under the weather so this is late, but I planted the first bed this week, finally! Two types of greens done and a lot to go!

You are doing well, Dado.

I am trying cukes in a pot with a trellis and some morning glories for fun. Also a grape tomato in a pot, Got the flower beds and pots planted. Two more hydrangeas need to be planted but I ran out of daylight and steam at the same time. Tomorrow's project maybe.
    Need to work up my 3'x16' veggie garden and plant some beans. Somehow bought green beans never taste as good as the homegrown ones. I will need to see what else I have seeds on hand to plant.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

you'll probably see it grow a lot of cute little mushrooms.
    We have these smelly ones here that are called penis mushrooms as they are so phallic in appearance - aka - stinkhorns. On the garden front, after our big snow last week, I now have snap peas, chard, spinach, arugula, various lettuces, beets, carrots and radishes all coming up.

Yppej
    Nothing I planted came up. So I got plants and put in basil which something is eating, tomatoes, marigolds a third of which have died, strawberries and phlox. We are getting plenty of rain, but also have pests and I probably need to enrich the soil.

IMG_0979.jpg

Had to show off my Redbud bloom which is true for five trees alternating with the service berries all of which have finally reached the size to show off.

The Azalea and Rhodo are in bloom as well. They were so small and I thought I had lost them one winter.

Just pulled out the two highbush blueberries which despite being different varieties did not pollinate. My native hydrangea, Annabelle, will go there instead.

Why does it seem so awful to pull out healthy plants? I did try to find a home for the blueberries with no takers.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

My gardens are in a state of limbo, but I love my front yard with the peonies (which are beautiful this year and not beaten down by bad weather), the lavender bush, catmint, hydrangea, Japanese maple and assorted thymes (creeping and English).

Picture of peonies:

IMG_0058.jpg

But I have a ton of work to do in VT when I get there.

PS: don't mind the hillbilly sofa on the front porch. It was there for the garage sale, but it's now on its way to VT. But I have to say, we loved having a sofa on the porch! We sat out there for ages, talking!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Pretty flowers!

Thread Information