Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Gardens

Kay..........your planting strawberry plants reminded me of when we first moved out here to these 35 rural acres 38 years ago. I planted 100 of them........and never saw them again. haha I just can't believe how the weeds grow out here. I joke that our weeds grow so big, we use them for firewood. Living in the middle of farm country, where lots of chemicals are used, I think all the weeds ran over here to live. But that's what's great about, right?........to think everything will turn out great. I was naive, but it was a beautiful dream while it lasted. Good luck with your strawberries! I'll bet they will be yummy!

My husband planted raspberries and blackberries 4 years ago and never got to eat any. That’s because the big dog checked them regularly and ate them. This may be the first summer he gets any.

I've always wanted to get a big Fruit cage. We have so many birds/rodents around here, it would be futile to grow any fruit without being protected. I've heard that those bird nets aren't good for birds, because they get caught in them.
    Now that I don't have chickens, their fortified run would be great for fruit........but it's all shade.
    Actually, I think the guy we bought this place from 38 years ago planted raspberries, and now they are out of control all over the place......just another "invasive". And they are full of thorns. But......I do pick some and make some nice syrup out of them.
    Just think of all the seeds that will grow, when a bird eats just one berry? Those thorned plants are great habitat for birds though.

My husband planted thornless.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Kay..........your planting strawberry plants reminded me of when we first moved out here to these 35 rural acres 38 years ago. I planted 100 of them........and never saw them again. haha I just can't believe how the weeds grow out here. I joke that our weeds grow so big, we use them for firewood. Living in the middle of farm country, where lots of chemicals are used, I think all the weeds ran over here to live. But that's what's great about, right?........to think everything will turn out great. I was naive, but it was a beautiful dream while it lasted. Good luck with your strawberries! I'll bet they will be yummy!
    I hope they are....and I hope the slugs don't think so.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Hey Kay.......do you know about the shallow plates of beer? I guess the slugs die with a smile on their face.

We're battling whiteflies here, and so far the "natural" pest control spray from the garden center seems to only partly effective. We have a minimal raised garden bed, but darn it, I'd like to see some strawberries and tomatoes for our efforts this year.

Gonna attempt my first Colorado food garden this spring. To conserve costs, DH built me a small raised bed out of cedar fence pickets so it is a 3 x 6 x 1 ft tall. He also used fence pickets to build a three layer stair step thing with a trellis against the fence like Cathy pictured. Have to wait for the next "bomb cyclone" to pass and hope I don't have any more trees blow over but have lots of seedlings started inside. Just discovered the little mini greenhouses available and wished I had bought one of those early on for starting seeds.

Hey pinkytoe.......we had a snow last week and it pulled over a large white pine near the garden......so I feel your pain. We have a silver lining though.......the 2 asparagus beds will start to get more sun.
    We only had under 2" of snow, but it was so wet and heavy and windy. It made me really sad.
    Did you put drainage holes in the bottoms of your stair step planter thing? I went much too crazy on all my stock tanks and now water just pours out the bottoms, so I've been trying to plug those holes.

It was supposed to rain Sunday but didn't. So I got to collect more finished compost and add it to some of the stock tank containers. Then in one, I planted spinach, mixed greens, and buttercrunch lettuce.
    Then I made a trellis for snow peas at one end of the swingset and planted them. Oops....I just remembered I was supposed to presprout them so the mice wouldn't eat them. If they don't sprout, I'll do it over right.
    Still lots to do out there, but it's a bit too early.

We saved all the mulch from our ground up spruce tree that fell over and I have spent the last week spreading it everywhere I can find a place. Cathy, the stair step thing DH built is open at the bottom. I piled rocks and sticks in the bottom of the highest section (about 4 ft high) so that it won't take as much soil to fill.

Thread Information