Thread: Good Deeds

Good Deeds

I have been doing a few of them as of late: last month I was able to help a young couple in a neighboring village get their brood of cats spayed and neutered. They are desperately poor, practically homeless, have no car and no phone; they live in a tumbling down ancient adobe house that has no electricity or plumbing yet they have nine or ten indoor cats that were all threatening to inbreed as the mating season commences. Despite them barely being able to feed themselves, the cats are quite well taken care of. I had noticed that the Santa Fe Humane Society's Spay and Neuter Clinic had 100 free spots for the month of February so I borrowed three cat carriers from people in my village. A couple of weeks ago I took three males in for neutering and the following week two females went in for spaying. In the meantime I was able to score a 50lb. bag of cat food to give to them from our town Food Depot distribution center at the fire station. Then yesterday I helped take in one of the cats (an older pregnant female) that wasn't getting along with the other cats to be surrendered to the No-Kill Shelter where she will have veternarian (sp?) care and then be adopted out. It is for the best, really...

I really miss having a cat though. However, I have absolutely no room for a littler box and I rather like the freedom of not having a pet to care for. I feel good about my little ways to help these people and the remaining cats in their possession. Now if I could just help facilitate H. in getting a job - he is 23 or 24 with a very sad personal history but he is smart and seems to be a pretty hard worker, albeit a rampant pot smoker. I have no illusions but I guess my maternal instinct is rearing its head a little, in that I wasn't able to save my daughter but maybe I can help get this young man get on his feet in little ways, like giving him rides when I go to Santa Fe, helping him try to find work, kind of like mentoring him. His girlfriend just may be beyond help. I won't lend them money outright, but I can help facilitate things.
    Last edited by SiouzQ.; 3-8-19 at 11:39pm.

I wish you luck and thank you for helping them (and their cats). Lots of young folk out there these days that can't figure out how to get ahead of their troubles.

Thank you so much for helping the cats. And helping the couple within your own personal boundaries.

Cat saver! Thank you. And the small stuff like rides into town are a big help. There is a lot of poverty in northern New Mexico.

That was very kind of you, SiouzQ. Maybe it will encourage them to start to tackle a few other things? Tiny steps.

That is very kind of you! Helping them within your means and boundaries is great. It seems that personal relationships and mentoring would be some of the best-and cost effective- ways of changing mindsets. I know it's greatly helped some of my relatives!

Thread Information