Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: March purge

March purge

Yesterday, for a flower show project, I looked for some old cheap champagne glasses in the upper reaches of our kitchen. They were not in the cupboard. I vaguely remember throwing them away – and you know what? That is OK! I used another kind of champagne glass I had around, and if it gets broken no probem I do not want to move those to Hermann.

Earlier in the week I was looking for something that I must’ve thrown away. And again – It is OK! I used something else.

I am glad I tossed all of that stuff. I am seeing empty places in my kitchen cabinets and I am happy about that.

Haha! That's great! The old "what if I need it someday" barrier to purging is real, but it's great to realize that it becomes a "so what"!

Going through our home divestment purge is not easy, but having "eyes on the prize"--getting rid of a financial burden--makes it easier.

I tackled our front hall closet this week and I can't believe how empty it looks now. And none of the purges caused me any angst. Even DH told me to throw out an old winter parka he LOVED. He wore it every winter since 1994 when he bought it at a Walmart in Virginia. He finally agreed that it's too nasty to keep or give away.

I, meanwhile, didn't really waver on anything, although I know I still have too many coats for the VT house.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I was just going to rib you about your own declittering decisions in your NJ house, especially in light of your heaping blame on The Wealthy in your other thread. You (catherine and the generic You) DO have a great deal of power in your own financial life and if you do not exercise it that is hardly the fault of The Wealthy.

There is no way in hell I would live in a generic suburban place that charges me $11,000 annually (or whatever you pay) in real estate taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I was just going to rib you about your own declittering decisions in your NJ house, especially in light of your heaping blame on The Wealthy in your other thread. You (catherine and the generic You) DO have a great deal of power in your own financial life and if you do not exercise it that is hardly the fault of The Wealthy.

There is no way in hell I would live in a generic suburban place that charges me $11,000 annually (or whatever you pay) in real estate taxes.
    Hey, you don't have to tell me that I've made a lot of financial mistakes in my life.

Maybe I'll get it right eventually.

BTW: I pay $9200. Still a lot, to be sure, which is why I'm moving, but it's average taxes in NJ.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    Found a new plunger I like and tossed the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    BTW: I pay $9200. Still a lot, to be sure, which is why I'm moving, but it's average taxes in NJ.
    Holy crap! I thought ours were bad going up to $5100 for our home AND our cabin combined!!!! Taking a deep breath now............

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Hey, you don't have to tell me that I've made a lot of financial mistakes in my life.

Maybe I'll get it right eventually.

Ok, This was beating you up too much so, sorry. I lost $10,000 just by ignoring something a few years ago so I am not without stupidity in the financial world.

And I always exaggerate the taxes in New Jersey, they’re high but not $10,000 high.

I feel blessed to only have to pay $2400 annually in taxes on a downtown SFH with 2 car garage where prices are spiking. They just sold a new $1.2 million dollar house around the corner. I fully expect ours will be a tear down in the future.

Went from $10K in Tx (now over $12K) to $1K in Colorado. Now that's simplifying.

Catherine’s high taxes also came with a high paying job. Probably much more pay than in a cheaper state.

Thread Information