Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: March purge

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Catherine’s high taxes also came with a high paying job. Probably much more pay than in a cheaper state.
    Gee, you are my Defender-in-Chief, tonight, TT! I appreciate it. .

You are right, though, the cost of living in NJ is high because of its proximity to NYC and Philadelphia. The housing here is very much in demand. The fact that this is a very densely populated state does't help, either.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Just calling it how I see it Catherine)

Went through my closet and dresser yesterday. Have about half of what used to be my wardrobe in a huge black garbage bag ready for pickup today by Big Brothers/Big Sisters. Feels good to finally have gone through it all.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Since one of my bookcases started to fall apart, took all my quilting books off all the shelves and reviewed them. Found 2 duplicates out they go. Another shelf full that are essentially duplicates of the contents of other books or the techniques are outdated gets tossed. So two big boxes of books are going to the library sale. Feels good and I might be able to donate more. Sure was exhausting and dusty work.
    Last edited by sweetana3; 3-18-19 at 12:28pm.

Ugh, well. I am starting the process of culling my picture book collection. I am starting with the really old stuff—golden age book, 1880-1920. In the children’s book world older is not better. There are lots of books from the 1870’s that are ugly, and I have a few of them because people,give them to me.

These 1870’s ooks and those of that style are the books you see at antique malls—cheap editions with pasted on illustration on the cover, the only color piece. The rest of the illustrations are engravings, stiff and ugly and just bad art.

so, these are easy to get rid of, I am no longer keeping books to make others happy. No one will know if I get rid of them. I don’t even think they’re worth anything but I’m still gonna drop them off as donations to our local fine bookshop He can decide if he wants to mess with them.

You guys are doing great!
    Using Yppej's strategy of eliminating that which sparks annoyance, I emptied and then threw away a magazine rack that was in the living room. It was a basket type of thing and the cats have been scratching on it for a few years, and it was really looking rather hideous. I was going to replace it, but realized I could empty and eliminate it instead.

I'm back into purging mode. Am getting rid of 50-60 books They're off the shelves and ready for delivery to the library.

I also cleaned out a piece of furniture that we call our "Chinese filing cabinet" because it's a tall piece with 18 flat drawers--almost like the kind architects use. We liked the piece because it's unique and functional to a point with all the drawers, but it drives us crazy when we know ONE of the 18 drawers is the one with the tea lights and we wind up pulling out 17 drawers before we find the darn candles.

I found old ticket stubs from the 90s in it, old lottery tickets, a packet of set screws, tons of those address labels fundraisers send you, seed packets, tons of cards for dog walkers (we hired a dog walker once in our lives), a leather glove I've been looking for forever...

So I have another bag of garbage for pick-up tomorrow.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Rosa, it’s interesting sometimes to realize you just don’t need a item. Good job Catherine and IL. I got sick of moving books years ago. I can see if you don’t move just not dealing with it.

Yppej
    A worn kitchen towel.

Thread Information