Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Other People’s stuff

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    I know a couple of people who have concierge services, that do that kind of stuff. Pretty sure it is all set up through Uber.
    When does it have to be done byyu or is she open to adjusting the price on the house (cover the cost of the buyers hiring got junk or some group).
    Yes, she could pay Handyman to deliver cable equipment and computers to appropriate places. But he doesnt have smart phone and wouldnt he have to have that to Uber? She most likely will balk at paying concierge service, but that IS an option. Even then, a warm body with a key has to be at her house to open it up and point to the stuff. The Handyman is only available on Mondays for the most part, he works other days at a regular job.

I say, hire the college girl to manage this. College girl doesnt have a car, but she has a working smart phone.College girl can have our spare key to friend’s house and manage the whole damn process and can Uber where she needs to go.

And I just learned that my friend promised the buyers a deep cleaning of this house. Aye, carumba! I saved all cleaning supplies just in case when cleaning out her kitchen cupboards but I honestly thought the new buyers were going to do major construction right away, so cleanliness didnt matter. The house is filthy. That is one reason I wanted to get into that kitchen and clear out cabinets because the cabinets are new-ish and they’re pretty nice and the refrigerator is brand new and I just wanted food scraps out of there because there have been mice and once I saw a rat there. yeah.

He would for Uber, but there are other places, such as Angies list, that require a computer, but no Uber.

Let her balk, let her come to the realization she is CONTRACTED (deep cleaning in the contract?), to pay for it one way ($$$$$$) or another (HER sweat equity). No need to sell yourself into servitude.

IL, not your circus and not your monkeys!

I so agree. I would probably not do this for family. Heck, I would hire it out for my own house. I agree with ToomuchStuff that you dont need to sell your mental or physical self into servitude. Give her the info on the college girl and let her deal with it. You could probably be nice and give your name and number to the college girl in case she has a question.

Remember "4 hours no more".

My story is a friend asked us to help her move across the street from one apartment complex to the other. We thought sure no big issue since she had a moving company doing the furniture. Well, we got there and after about 10 loads in 3 cars, we had only moved a portion of her fabric and sewing equipment. We gave her the one day and the hard work and that was it. Down one flight of stairs, pack into cars, drive across the street, park, unload cars, and take into new apartment. Repeat 9 or more times. Not light weight stuff. Each tote was 25 pounds or more.

Learned my lesson. Now we give them the name and phone number of our favorite moving company. And at 65, we are no longer going to lift and tote for anyone.

After having been buried in this type of stuff with the parental units..... there is no way I would do it for anybody else but family WITH an inability to do it themselves. Even then I would hire it out. NEVER for a friend who didn't want to step up to their own responsibilities. I keep thinking of Cher in Moonstruck..... somebody needs a smack and a "Snap out of it !!!!".

We did help our friends do this along with some other friends and family that helped too because he was dying of cancer and she had Alzheimer’s. They were broke from medical bills.

Teacher Terry, that was a good deed and a blessing. I would not complain about helping someone who truly needs it. But in my case and Iris Lilies, they are completely capable of organizing the move. We are only "cheap" help.

Sweet, absolutely agree. My friends were so honorable that there home was paid for and homesteaded so was lien proof and they had health insurance. They sold the house and paid off debts trying to leave this world debt free. Really good people. On the other hand some people are users.

I don’t think I’d do this for a friend who was perfectly capable of doing it for herself.

I would NEVER expect a friend to do this for me. I have some wonderful friends, 40+, 50+ years. One that she & I consider each other sisters, but I would never expect a friend to take over the responsibility for stuff that I just went off and left. Unless I had died or something! If this woman can afford expensive shoes she can afford to hire a service or people willing to come in and take care of the things she left behind.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Thread Information