Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Other People’s stuff

Other People’s stuff

Ugh.

Someone dump stuff on you again?
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    Someone dump stuff on you again?
    Long story, short version: our friend left her 3,000 sq ft house for vacation, sold it immediately prior to vacation. She got movers in to take the 25% of stuff she wanted in her new place. She would be back to organize all the shit tons of crap left after a 30 year accumulation.

But now she has decided not to come back.

Someone will be required to manage the clearing out of her house. DH and I have already spent 3-4 hours on the super important stuff she wanted packed up, such as tax papers, expensive shoes, and boxes of dog ashes. I cleaned out her refrigerator because it was brand new and I didnt want foodstuff rotting and mucking up that $$$ appliance. I cleaned out her cupboards to keep the mice out.

That is my limit, 4 hours. No more.

Less than a year ago we took in several bags of grocery items from friends who were moving, but that was useful and no work was required on our end.

Even less time ago than that, both th of us together invested about 8 hours helping a friend unload his crap after an estate sale failed to move the bulk of it out of his house and he had to give ip possession in 3 days.

I am dreading the sale of DH’s dad’s place. I fear endless amounts of crap will come here.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-12-19 at 1:13pm.

I may not be up on the whole story, but curious why she's made you responsible for any of her packing/cleanup.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

She decided not to come back so you did the work. Unless she suddenly got sick the answer would be no.

Ugh! What a manipulator!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    Ugh! What a manipulator!
    Not unless I participate in the manipulation. We did the core work that a friend does for another froend.

Now, you all know me. I dont get pushed around, I know how to draw boundaries. And my friend is VERY generous and wants to give away her remaining stuff. She gave us lots of little stuff and food stuff, but so much of it is useless.

She is unorganized and impractical. She wants the stuff to go to people who will use it. She wants the bulk of stuff to go to “charity.” But she threw up her hands and said “this is too much! I will come back to deal with it later!” And to no one’s real surprise, she isnt coming back.

In summary she “wants” a lot of stuff to happen but will not put in her own elbow grease to make it happen. I repeated to DH at least five times ” this is not your circus. She is a grown woman and she can figure out how to deal with all of this” while he moved stuff around her house to better organize it for the rounds of people coming through.

She has a handyman who is shredding her 30 years accumulation of papers. He has his own key to her house. But he is limited in what he can do, he doesnt drive, he doesnt have a cell phone, and he is an alcoholic (and she had a ridiculous meltdown about him taking all of the bottles of opened alcohol that she wanted to give away. ) jesus, why does it matter at this point.

Anyway, She is willing to pay people to do things except that she needs someone on site to manage the process. The salvation army, the pick up of cable equipment, the cleansing of computer hard drives, etc. etc. needs management. Her handyman cannot do that. DH and I will not do that.

Actually, there is a young woman who helped her drive with dogs to the
    east Coast and this young woman is probably available to manage the clean-out of this big house. I’m hoping my friend hires her because that seems the most practical plan at this point.

Are you kidding? Reminds me of the Dr. Seuss book Horton Hatches an Egg. "Maizie" has run off to have fun and left "Horton" (IL) to sit on this big 3,000 sq ft egg.

Really???

Why can't she come back to supervise?

What a terrible burden to put on someone.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

But even though this isnt my circus, ya’ll notice I am worrying about it. Haha.

well, people’s crap weighs on me but that is really MY problem, isnt it? As DH said “we have spent more mental energy on this house cleanout than she has.” That is truth.

I know a couple of people who have concierge services, that do that kind of stuff. Pretty sure it is all set up through Uber.
    When does it have to be done byyu or is she open to adjusting the price on the house (cover the cost of the buyers hiring got junk or some group).

Thread Information