Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Buying your way to ivy league

Looking at some of the news stories on this:

Some of the parents dropped $500k on their scams/bribes. Just to get admission.

Imagine the good that could have been accomplished with that money! They could have got the kid a house, or helped start a business, or ....

When my daughter was contemplating An Expensive Place, which was going to cost us full-freight cash to pay for, since I didn't game the financial aid situation, I offered her instead the deal of "you could just have the cash (~$250k) up-front" if you want to start a business, or get a home here and do your agricultural/marine sciences work, or ..." She pondered seriously the pluses and minuses.

And so, soon, our planet will have another professor of Anglo Saxon, Norse, and Celtic Studies available for hire...

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Good God. Sort of makes Chelsea Clinton’s career look like something out of Horatio Alger.

The good news is they can probably afford a lot of therapy.
    You are so nice to not snarkily say “ career.”

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    This whole cheap and tawdry affair? I find A. Cheap and tawdry, and B. Lacking in good taste/good judgement. Though competition does tend to bring out the worst in people. Rob

This has me thinking about some of the more popular political promises being made to folks in return for votes. If a college education is virtually guaranteed to everyone by being "free", are we creating a civil right that private schools may not violate, or would it simply be acceptable then for private schools to reserve their limited slots to the highest bidders?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Looking at some of the news stories on this:

Some of the parents dropped $500k on their scams/bribes. Just to get admission.

Imagine the good that could have been accomplished with that money! They could have got the kid a house, or helped start a business, or ....

When my daughter was contemplating An Expensive Place, which was going to cost us full-freight cash to pay for, since I didn't game the financial aid situation, I offered her instead the deal of "you could just have the cash (~$250k) up-front" if you want to start a business, or get a home here and do your agricultural/marine sciences work, or ..." She pondered seriously the pluses and minuses.

And so, soon, our planet will have another professor of Anglo Saxon, Norse, and Celtic Studies available for hire...
    does she have any thoughts of returning to the island? My kids never looked back when they left home and pursued their own way. Both seem to be happy but live their lives their way.

For many years New York had free tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    You are so nice to not snarkily say “ career.”
    She can’t be held responsible for her upbringing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    This has me thinking about some of the more popular political promises being made to folks in return for votes. If a college education is virtually guaranteed to everyone by being "free", are we creating a civil right that private schools may not violate, or would it simply be acceptable then for private schools to reserve their limited slots to the highest bidders?
    Let the schools do what they want. Imagine a world where a harvard degree elicits people to say ‘oh, their parents must’ve dropped a boatload of money to get them that degree.’

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Let the schools do what they want. Imagine a world where a harvard degree elicits people to say ‘oh, their parents must’ve dropped a boatload of money to get them that degree.’
    I think that is already the case in many quarters that the people most impressed by Ivy degrees are people with Ivy degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Which is sort of sad and odd, because some of the Ivy League schools have tremendously good financial aid programs, that for your middle-class kid essentially require no loans, and don't require your parents to dip into retirement assets or home equity. It can be the cheapest college solution available, if you get in.

Thread Information