Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Buying your way to ivy league

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    does she have any thoughts of returning to the island? My kids never looked back when they left home and pursued their own way. Both seem to be happy but live their lives their way.
    Most kids here who go to college don't/can't come back. The jobs simply aren't here, and the housing prices are out of reach. The population demographics are also skewed towards the older side of the curve, making it difficult for young folks to socialize.

If she came back here and wanted to work with income derived from local jobs, she'd have to do archeology survey/reports for construction projects, and work lots of seasonal tourism-based gigs, or perhaps get a job at the K-12 school district if they somehow needed a classics professor.

She'll probably come back in the future when she is working on writing/research projects, if she can access the materials she needs from here.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Which is sort of sad and odd, because some of the Ivy League schools have tremendously good financial aid programs, that for your middle-class kid essentially require no loans, and don't require your parents to dip into retirement assets or home equity. It can be the cheapest college solution available, if you get in.
    I know Harvard does. My friend had a seven figure sum set for his kids education and had instilled in them the importance of school and work ethic (bought them a brand new vehicle of their choosing when turned 16 when they kept a 4.0), and they went out and got a full ride scholarship to Harvard medical. Went on to work for a group I mix up with the WHO.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Which is sort of sad and odd, because some of the Ivy League schools have tremendously good financial aid programs, that for your middle-class kid essentially require no loans, and don't require your parents to dip into retirement assets or home equity. It can be the cheapest college solution available, if you get in.
    Absolutely. I think Princeton has one of the top endowment funds, right? I'm sure a good chunk of that goes to scholarships and grants.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

What set of laws govern how college admissions are administered? Is it really the blackmail element that is hitting up against the law? I don’t quite get it. I know that if somebody tried to gate crash national garden club judging for instance, claiming they were judges, I don’t know that there is a law that covers that other than some sort of general law about impersonating someone for financial gain. Haha, not the aame, but I do wonder why college admisiion is regulated at all by the gubmnt.

I was shocked to see that Felicity Huffman, spouse to
    william macy, played this stupid game.

The Hollywood people are ridiculous. The Macy’s/Hoffman are kind of edgy and independent film-ish but I can see that they’ve fallen for main stream values of “my kid above all others.”

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    The Hollywood people are ridiculous. The Macy’s/Hoffman are kind of edgy and independent film-ish but I can see that they’ve fallen for main stream values of “my kid above all others.”
    Just think of the frantic string-pulling we would see if they were still drafting kids. Like Donald’s bone spurs or the ceremonial outfit Ted Kennedy got into after they kicked him out of Harvard for cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    What set of laws govern how college admissions are administered? Is it really the blackmail element that is hitting up against the law? I don’t quite get it. I know that if somebody tried to gate crash national garden club judging for instance, claiming they were judges, I don’t know that there is a law that covers that other than some sort of general law about impersonating someone for financial gain. Haha, not the aame, but I do wonder why college admisiion is regulated at all by the gubmnt.

I think the most serious crime they're accused of is conspiracy to defraud a US agency, namely the Dept. of Ed., which uses taxpayer dollars to support students/universities through, e.g., Pell grants, Titles III and IV.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    I looked up Felicity, her not worth with Macy is reported to be 45 mil. She was paid almost $300,000 per episode of eight seasons of desperate housewives. She attended boarding school and has family money. Her ancestors were well educated and did things like found successful companies. I can’t imagine what goes on in these people’s minds.

Lori L is married to a successful designer and their net worth is reported to be $100 million. Can you imagine what good they could do with that kind of money.

But here is a funny story. I have a friend whose mother dropped out of tenth grade and got married. She was born when her mom was 16. After high school she worked in an office and got married. Although she has no formal post high school education, she is one of the most educated people I know. She has extensively read and studied Shakespeare for instance, very involved in politics and knows tons of American history, especially the revolutionary war and our founding fathers, and so on. She’s an avid reader is currently reading biographies of famous women like Curie and Clara Barton. Whereas I know some people with university degrees that are not well read or smart about much of anything. Their lives consist of decorating, watching TV, going out to lunch and playing Bunco. All fine for distractions but not the focus of expanding your knowledge.

I do feel bad for people who have worked extremely hard and made real sacrifices to attend these schools who might get a second doubtful glance. And kids who were on the bubble who were knocked out by these entitled rich people. Because really smart people deserve a good education and some of the excellent departments like physics, engineering, robotics, and so on have produced many modern geniuses. I live near Cape Canaveral and the rocket launches are a big deal here. They get extensive media coverage and I marvel at the current technology that is going into the reusable rockets. But I guess we all can’t be rocket scientists....

Here is a list of charges: Note Federal mail and wire fraud is what got the parents apparently. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/college...ents-involved/

Thread Information