Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A quick question about movers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

A quick question about movers

When you hire a moving company to pack stuff and then move it, exactly what does "pack stuff" mean?

In other words, do they take things out of your drawers and pack them? Or is it limited to taking stuff off, say, your dressers and packing it? Can they go into your attic and get stuff down for you? Would they, say, walk into a room that's in an "as is" state (I mean, there's pillows on your couch, etc.) and just start packing stuff?

Thanks very much!

My friend had about 25% of her possessions packed by movers just a few weeks ago. She sat in a chair and directed them on which things to take. Yes, they take things out of drawers wrap them and put them in big boxes. This particular mover had big sheets of paper, somewhere around newspaper size, for wrapping things.

If you wanted them to pack everything in a room it wouldn’t be quite so complicated because you could just point to a room and say “ Pack and move all of this. “

Her house is 3000 ft.² and it was kind of a hunt and peck operation to take “this but not that “ in each room along each wall and in each storage device.

The state moved us once and packed everything in the kitchen. I always pack myself because of the cost. Professional movers leave stuff in the dresser drawers.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    The state moved us once and packed everything in the kitchen. I always pack myself because of the cost. Professional movers leave stuff in the dresser drawers.
    I think I'd be inclined to remove the drawers myself anyway. I don't want people touching my undies!

Thank you, iris lilies. That actually sounds wonderful.

As my sister once said, You can pay anyone to do just about anything.

When I had movers for some of my move they just wrapped the dressers in plastic wrap and moved them. No touching my panties!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    When I had movers for some of my move they just wrapped the dressers in plastic wrap and moved them. No touching my panties!
    Well speaking of movers and panties in drawers, DH took all of our friend’s underwear out of her wardrobe because she needed it cleaned out and the mutual friend who came to get all of her clothes for a church didn’t take underwear.

This is what friends are for! You cant pay us enough!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    This is what friends are for! You cant pay us enough!
    Years back, my first wife and I helped another couple move. Talk about expectations: when we arrived (along with other couples we knew), the rented van already had in it (most of) a small car. It was a restoration project he would get to somedaymaybe. It had arrived in that condition year earlier when they moved in and it was leaving the same way. I'm glad we weren't around to have to move that into the van. We were there, however, long enough to move several business-grade steel file cabinets of mostly-outdated brochures and other ephemera from their basement (no culling done before we arrived) and a big chest freezer which was full of food and still plugged in (in the belief that, kept intact, it would keep the food frozen for the couple-day journey to their new place). While I was helping the other guys wrestle file cabinets into the moving van, though, my wife went to help the wife of the couple empty out their bedroom -- and was very surprised (and quite embarrassed) to find the drawer in which the couple stored all of their -- umm -- toys. A move to remember -- and a promise to never have a place unready like that when we moved.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

We had corporate moves both times when we left the state we were in and they moved in a crew and packed up everything. The would have unpacked at the end. I am very thankful we never had to see the bill. Our house filled the biggest semi I have ever seen. The only thing they could not get on was one old Xmas tree. Coming home we packed a vintage Ford in the semi so they had another 12 foot truck follow the semi.

Now it is all on us and I would leave most things behind.

They will do whatever you want and can pay for.

I’ve heard of movers even packing up a trash can full of paper!

Thread Information