Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Gen X, does it matter

It's fun seeing people's houses. This is mine:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...53885812_zpid/

I don't know about all that random foliage. We just had a camellia bush, some roses, a purple clematis, and a giant cherry tree.

It's fun seeing people's houses. This is mine:
    This IS fun, seeing people's childhood homes. Maybe this should be a different thread.

ZG, I assume your house was built in the 70s, and even though my current NJ home is a very typical 70s home, I really don't like the layouts. However, I do LOVE the property in the picture. Lots of trees.

Jane, your home looks hard to identify from a period POV. But to your point earlier, it is big, for the time period you probably grew up in.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Jane, your home looks hard to identify from a period POV. But to your point earlier, it is big, for the time period you probably grew up in.
    It never seemed big. My grandparents' house was much bigger--but they had five kids and some live-in help. Most of the houses in our neighborhood were good-sized. It was a largely Catholic neighborhood--a family across the way had 17 children!

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    It never seemed big. My grandparents' house was much bigger--but they had five kids and some live-in help. Most of the houses in our neighborhood were good-sized. It was a largely Catholic neighborhood--a family across the way had 17 children!
    I think I've told this story before about my best friend who was 5th born out of 9 total children. Their house was almost a story book house--but very small. A very small kitchen, good sized dining room average living room, and 3 bedrooms. As the number of children expanded, my friend's dad would build walls in the bedrooms to accommodate the growing family. There were 3 girls in one bedroom, 3 girls in another (1 twin bed, one set of bunkbeds), and then another carved-out room out room for the boys. The baby was in a crib in the parents' room.

But they were my dream family. They were so cool. We would set up paper doll neighborhoods across the living floor. There were always pies baking. the basement was reserved for sleep-overs. My friend's mother traded me an outfit that she made by hand for a drawn template of their family tree for her to embroider (that was during my artistic period). And they were so organized!! Nothing ever out of place. With nine kids in this very average home, you would imagine chaos, but it was anything but.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My SO was the fifth of nine, also in a very small house. It can be done. And I imagine organization is key.
    Big families can be a lot of fun.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Wow, you guys lived in mansions next to the 800 sq. Foot two bedroom seven of us lived in. Most kids slept in an unfinished attic space. With a small window at each end it was really hot in the summer. Who knew?

i really hate generalizations about generations. Each era has it’s doctors and alcoholics, engineers and layabouts, teachers and drug dealers, rich and poor, generous and stingy, good and bad.

Well i dont have much to say, our house in Oakland CA was small like you are talking about. The Michigan home was 4 bedrooms, a family room and eat in kitchen, plus a formal living room and formal dining room. We also had a full unfinished basement. One of the cool features was a dedicated office for my dad, with a separate telephone line. It was even a red phone. My dad worked at home when he didn't travel.

I back we had way more trees than in front, a series of small ponds ran through the neighborhood. We had a canoe for the summer and ice skated on it during the winter.my dad built a free standing fort nestled in the trees and we also had room for a half court basketball area.

As an adult I live in smaller houses than those I grew up in. I remember my parents slaving away in the service of the Victorian house, removing wallpaper. painting. Refinishing the floors. New roof—No vacation for us that year. And etc. But yet I still dont want a new house, I like the pre-war stuff.

1st image: my childhood house from ages 5 to 11 in a very small town. It had a giant lot, maybe 3/4 acre. It dates from 1910, has 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms for our family of 4 people. I keep an eye on it and at the moment it seems to have a loving owner. It went through a rough patch. Some fool filled in the front porch, not a good move for the aesthetics BUT those upstairs bedrooms that hung over the porch were cold!

CE7C74CA-6C3E-4FFD-9F59-F93A3816DBF3.jpg

2nd image: a different small town, I lived here ages 11 to 19. Great old Victorian house of 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms. It has been going downhill for the past 45 years with the same owner my family sold it to. Owner is college professor and his wife, now ancient. He started painting the front 15 years ago and quit in middle of trim line. I can only imagine what the inside looks like.

812DCB43-5532-4B76-A959-FF874D96C0EF.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    This IS fun, seeing people's childhood homes. Maybe this should be a different thread.

ZG, I assume your house was built in the 70s, and even though my current NJ home is a very typical 70s home, I really don't like the layouts. However, I do LOVE the property in the picture. Lots of trees.

I would say Jane’s house is an Arts and Crafts influenced house circa 1915.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I would say Jane’s house is an Arts and Crafts influenced house circa 1915.
    I was going to say "kinda Craftsman-like." I think you've got it. There were quite a few craftsman-like houses in the area, but also a wide variety of styles. They just don't make many neighborhoods like that any more--which partially explains the eye-popping prices houses are going for.

Thread Information