Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Gen X, does it matter

Another thing I wonder about concerning various generations is who is buying all these brand new oversized houses out in sprawl land, any city USA. Media would have us believe that younger folk are drowning in college debt and actually prefer smaller digs. I would love to find an affordable new smaller house (1200-1500sf) but they don't seem to exist in abundance except in retirement neighborhoods (which doesn't appeal to me just yet). I know of a couple in their late 50s who just bought a new 5BR, 4 bath house way way out. She says they want a big house so their kids/grandkids will visit and stay often. I am thinking it must be dual income couples with kids in their 40s for the most part who are driving great distances to work in most cases. Old paradigms are so slow in changing. I keep hoping a younger generation will be smarter about a lot of things...

I wish builders would come up with a variety of styles of housing instead of the same old stuff. I'd like a smallish, single-story house in a somewhat planned/cohesive neighborhood. I don't know anyone who wants a far-away McMansion.

Our neighborhood is right in town and the homes were built in the 50’s and range from 800 sq fr-1500. There is a mix of ages. Some friends of ours that were 64 bought a new house that’s 3k sq ft and they don’t have kids. It’s out a ways. There old house was 1700. They used a inheritance and 7 years later are still working full time.

We were able to find a smaller house built in about 1930 in one of the very first suburbs of Phoenix. So itís 1.5 miles to the heart of downtown - not in sprawl land. It took a few years of keeping our eyes open to find this. 810 sq ft, 2 bedroom, 1 bath, about $150,000, ready to live in.

This was perfect for our child free older years. Kids can either stay in the spare room or we get them a hotel - depending on how many are visiting.

We also have a shaded outdoor patio thatís almost as big as the inside of the house. Other than the 4 hottest months, we do a lot of our living outdoors anyway, so why buy a huge house.

Our 'hood is mixed age: young couples with babies, us in our 50s (no kids or grown kids) and retirees. Our home is 1850sf single level. The hood ranges from 2600 down to 1100. We've been here since 1991 and we're not leaving voluntarily.

Downtown is 6 miles and that's where my preferred grocery store is located. The most expensive in town is just 2 miles....but I have to be desperate. We're 5min walk to the river that runs through town...great walking/biking path for 20 miles west and 10 miles east. Lots of bald eagles and blue heron live along it's banks-the fishing for them is great!

what's not to love!

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Uh ZGÖ. We are Boomers with no top sheets. It must be the end of days.
    It is European. They have bottom sheets and duvets.