Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen X, does it matter

Yes rosa, there are some larger factors of course but most people are unique. I just recall being very upset about being called slackers and told we were ruining the american dream when our incomes were significantly lower than the boomer generation. Other than that it it is largely personal differences, and a willingness to listen to others experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    Yes rosa, there are some larger factors of course but most people are unique.
    My interpretation of your post is that you almost feel left out because your generation isn't discussed to the degree that Boomers and Millennials are. I think it's valid to make broad cultural distinctions among various demographic groups, based on the shared experiences of each of them. If I had grown up during the Great Depression, I would probably behave and think differently than I do now.

It's not to deny the fact that people are unique--of course that's true, but I think certain assumptions can be made about large groups based different cultural norms, attitudes and experiences. Otherwise, why even study sociology or anthropology?

For the record, I don't particularly get offended if anyone calls my generation the generation that ruined the climate or the free love generation. Why would I take that personally? But if the shoe fits...
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Left out, yes. There is SO MUCH media it seems about the boomer and millennial generations. I don't even watch news or TV or get magazines and I think it is a lot. It is working out to about once a week I hear a generational reference of some type (I am editing my facebook preferences but I go on as an admin for several groups). I hear a reference to Gen X a few times a year. To be honest I hear nothing about my parent's generation (silent).

I think one actual issue I have is that the western buddhist teachers are overwhelmingly boomers. There is a big push now for diversity in training new teachers and I have a feeling it will affect those younger than me. The big Gen X Buddhist line was just decimated by sexual misconduct, a line I felt connected to because it was much more my culture. So there is a resounding sense of loss there that may be affecting this as well.

What if the millennials arent interested in buddhism?

They arent interested in ornamental gardening, thats for sure. But those in my neck of the woods do seem to like the ideas of organic/grow your own food/ natural eating and etc yet they cannot seem to master the principles of our trash system which includes single stream recycling, this latter being an earth-friendly life skill.

Hmm, maybe they won't be? That is a point.

The left out feeling is a big one, I have had it come up in several personal ways the last 2 years. The media focus on generations is just getting to me for that reason I am sure,

IL When we have earth week at our program i like to do a recycle relay game. We give the kids a bag of trash for their team and then run to the bins, put it in the correct bin and run back to tag the next person. I use fake fruits and veggies for the compost bin, not sure having them do this with a real banana peel would be a good idea. My last school had trash, recycle and compost with large signs explaining it all. Still it does seem a mystery to many people.

I think feeling left out might be more a personality factor unique to you, tather than a factor related to gen x. I remember reading and hearing a lot about gen x back in the 90s. That was when they were entering the workforce and “messing things up”, like the millennials are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    Hmm, maybe they won't be? That is a point.

The left out feeling is a big one, I have had it come up in several personal ways the last 2 years. The media focus on generations is just getting to me for that reason I am sure,
    Why would you care? What will you get out of a media barrage of stories on Gen X?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I think feeling left out might be more a personality factor unique to you, tather than a factor related to gen x. I remember reading and hearing a lot about gen x back in the 90s. That was when they were entering the workforce and “messing things up”, like the millennials are now.
    +1
    But may be a bit of a factor.
    I understand the feeling left out thing, in multiple ways. I also knew it would happen. Most in their 20's connect to more people and as they age/get families, etc., people tend to move, get jobs, etc. etc. etc. You don't spend as much time as you once did, to feel connected. I/we are at a stage now, where friends are grandparents, and some are late parents. My old social group has been dissolved for years, because they are all over the country and I don't Facebook, etc. The older generations I have been friends with, have been dying off. So there is that.

On the other hand, I could be in a room full of 100's of people I know all of them, and feel alone.

Talked to a gal I've known for years yesterday (pretty sure she qualifies as a millennial) and while part of her doesn't fit the stereotype, another part of her, I think would. We were talking about a type of restaurant and she was shocked I hadn't eaten/tried quite a number of them. In my days, we didn't eat out as often, and that habit has caused me to tend to not try new ones. The idea that as kids, we generally got to go swimming once a year, didn't go out as much, etc. left her saying I've lived a "sheltered life".

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Why would you care? What will you get out of a media barrage of stories on Gen X?
    A sense of relevance?

The only relevance generations have for me is the irritation I feel when all boomers are lumped together and blamed for this or that, but that doesn't happen enough in my life to be worth my time.

What generation is it that doesn't like going out to eat? My Korean-conflict era SO (not sure which generation that is) and I went at every available opportunity, and enjoyed a wide variety of cuisines. My parents' generation didn't--probably because there weren't more than a couple of ethnic restaurants to make it worthwhile. You can make good food at home, otherwise.

As far as I can tell, the Greatest Generation was the last one that lived well--on one income--without a lot of insecurities, and that varied. too.

Thread Information