Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teaching children - observations at the park

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    He is really moving? I am shocked. But it’s good news.
    Yes, he is. He has a friend on the West Coast who has been bugging him. He found a place to stay (affordable housing), and he has booked his plane ticket, so I don't think he's backing out. And he's psyched. He's (rightfully) only worried that he'll overspend at first, but he can probably get work with tips at a good golf course. I'm happy for him!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

That sounds like a great situation for him. Glad he found a affordable place to live.

With all the migration into Colorado I can tell a BIG difference on the trails. There are so many hikers, the places I have been going for years are packed. However not many know the basics of hiking, such as who has the right of way on the trail, how to pull your dog off to the side to let people pass, and bring some flipping water! It just makes me nervous to see people heading up in the afternoon with no pack or jacket, and no water at 9,000 ft. Meanwhile I am also encouraged when I see families with young kids who are hiking prepared and they are teaching the kids basics like to not pick the flowers or go off trail in re-vegetation spots.

About 3 years ago I was flying out of Seattle. We got to the airport early, my small puppy and I, because I wanted to be sure we would get on the flight- they only allow 3 dogs per flight and you can't reserve ahead of time. We checked in, ate, pottied pup, and walked down to the gate area. It was totally empty. I settled where I had a view out and a fairly protected seating area. Got my book out of my bag, opened pup's carrier so she could lay her head in my lap, all was golden. For about 20 minutes.

Then, I actually heard them coming. I thought at first it was a whole crowd of kids, some sort of tour group. No. Just 2 boys, about 7 and 10, raising holy you-know-what. Yelling, running and jumping on and over furniture, endlessly. Scared my puppy, I put her back into her carrier and secured it. The boys came running over and asked if my dog could play with them! I calmly told them. "No, this isn't a play place." The younger boy went whining to his father that I was mean to him!! His brother said, "no, she just said we can't play with the dog, this isn't a play place." The father glared at me and said in a very loud voice, "IT'S A PLAY PLACE FOR YOU! GO PLAY!" at which point yelling, running, and jumping over furniture continued.

As people came to eventually fill the area, the same scenario played out over and over- complaint of an adult being mean, directions to go play. I was very frustrated that no one in authority ever stopped them, even when they were running and jumping over people's luggage, and nearly knocking drinks out of peoples hands.

That your brother-in-law is moving is amazing and wonderful and wow!

I mostly see kids at church. For some reason a number of the younger elementary aged kids think it’s a good idea to cut into the line in between adults getting food at coffee hour. Kids can go first if they want, but these kids were slackers who were running around like heathen, realize people are now in line for food, and they want to make up for being late to get in line. If a kid tries to cut in front of me, I stop them every time. Tell them it’s rude and they have to wait their turn. Parents always back me up if the kids start whining.

If people are letting their kids be brats I tell them in no uncertain terms to get away from me. I can give a pretty mean look to parents and kids if need be.

Thread Information