Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teaching children - observations at the park

Teaching children - observations at the park

I might be turning grumpy in my old age but I see a lot of questionable parenting (or lack of) when I walk in our neighborhood park. Too many are not teaching their children respect for others or the environment. There is a beautiful large pond full of ducks and geese with multiple signs explaining why feeding the waterfowl is not allowed. Nevertheless, there are the parents with their kids feeding bread and chips right next to the sign that says "Do not feed the ducks." Or parents will encourage their children to chase the ducks and laugh all the while thinking it cute I guess. Today, a mom with her little kids decided to let her dog off the leash to chase the ducks which of course caused them to fly away in fear. When I confronted her about doing that, she replied "oh I do it because it makes my kids happy." Huh?

We have that kind of crap happening in our pond and park here too. When I walk the dogs I give the geese and ducks a wide berth so as not to scare them.

We have a LOT of geese here in the city parks. When there are a lot crossing the street then it stops traffic. I don't see people chasing them or letting the dogs chase them, but I also think we have rules about that. The one park I run at has a dog park included so they should take the dogs there. I would have said something too. My dad taught us to not feed the animals in parks. We visited Rocky Mountain National Park many times as kids and he explained why we shouldn't feed the small animals, and then grumbled about the large RV's from Texas with people who fed animals (sorry to Texans who don't feed candy to squirrels in national parks).

However as an educator I see some things that make me cringe! I went to coffee with a friend and their children and the kids are literally running around the coffee shop with super loud voices. When I am at work I will call kids on things, even if their parents are there. If mom is talking to me and they are screaming it is still my program and rules. Out in public, well at a park I will sometimes step in if the parents don't see something dangerous. I think that I have developed a way to do that over the years. Having white hair helps my authority now!

We have these signs in our park, too. And the runnng kids. And the duck killing dogs. And greedy geese. We also have swans who are fed and cared for daily by my neighbors, so they keep an eye on the flocks.

Another place I see a lot of respect not being taught is at public libraries. Moms (mostly) with packs of very loud kids running around and shouting as if it were a playground. I know they have a lot of programs for kids now but still...I have vivid memories of stern librarians going Shhhh if someone even spoke aloud. It was one of the places to enjoy humans being quiet. Not so much anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Another place I see a lot of respect not being taught is at public libraries. Moms (mostly) with packs of very loud kids running around and shouting as if it were a playground. I know they have a lot of programs for kids now but still...I have vivid memories of stern librarians going Shhhh if someone even spoke aloud. It was one of the places to enjoy humans being quiet. Not so much anymore.
    This is why those small Carnegie libraries scattered throughout America have it right. At the turn of the century the children were downstairs and the adults had their collections and quiet times upstairs. This is the way civilized people live.

Ha ha, kidding, sorta

There is an ever-increasing hoard of people out there that think the rules don't apply to them. That sense of entitlement will be the downfall of society, when individual rights are more important than the good of the community (in a generalized nutshell). We need to reteach and apply the "Golden Rule."

Quote Originally Posted by SiouzQ. View Post
    There is an ever-increasing hoard of people out there that think the rules don't apply to them. That sense of entitlement will be the downfall of society, when individual rights are more important than the good of the community (in a generalized nutshell). We need to reteach and apply the "Golden Rule."
    Actually, I think I disagree with this! Seems like we get lectured quite a bit on ‘for good of the whole’ and caring/sharing and ‘give up yours so that others may have it ‘ and etc.

Oh wait —maybe you mean the lecturers need to Shine that light on themselves!

Back to parks – my neighbors spend a great deal of time making our city park better. We have a beautiful old Victorian walking park in the middle of our neighborhood and the city has minimal resources to keep it up. We have an entire nonprofit organization that raises money for it and implements capital improvements, so I know quite a bit about how people tramp around on the flora and disturb the fauna.

One major area of society where egotism and sense of entitlement runs amok is Bridezillas. We have a regular stream of Bridezillas tramping through one of our most carefully cultivated planting areas. We even discussed stationing a member of the park conservancy there on Saturday afternoons when the bridezilla traffic is so high. They crush the plantings, pull things out by the roots, and we have had photographers actually move some of the hard scape pieces and urns in order to get just the right picture. They are self entitled brats.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-16-19 at 3:00pm.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    This is why those small Carnegie libraries scattered throughout America have it right. At the turn of the century the children were downstairs and the adults had their collections and quiet times upstairs. This is the way civilized people live.

Ha ha, kidding, sorta
    Agreed! My kids still talk about the "quiet time for adults" rule I instilled which was a daily household quiet time that started about 8pm and lasted until the next morning.

If there's any prevailing attitude that gets my goat is the feeling of entitlement people have--that rules don't apply to them. That is also a very uncivilized way of thinking, IMO. My BIL runs a track in a university near us. He's done it for years. He has never gone to that school and has no right using those facilities. One time someone asked him if he was associated with the campus, and coincidentally his high school mascot is the same as the university's mascot, so he said, "I'm a XXXX alumna" and the security person said, "OK"

AND he gets mad if he goes and students are using the track and he has to come home. Talk about a sense of entitlement

Well, he's actually moving across the country next month, so that habit will die a natural death.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

He is really moving? I am shocked. But it’s good news.

Thread Information