Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prayer shawl?

Prayer shawl?

I have googled repeatedly with no results, so now I am turning to you. I have something and I don't know what it is, and so far haven't been able to find as answer. This item is the same size, shape and structure of a Jewish prayer shawl or tallit, with beautiful gold embroidery on maroon or burgundy on a crisp white material. The embroidery is of buildings/skyline. There are fringes hanging from each corner, and a burgundy piece of material in the middle of the top of the shawl. This would be the area that goes around the neck in the back. Words are embroidered in gold across this, but it is not Hebrew. My first thought was this may be an Islamic prayer shawl but I am having no luck finding anything that resembles it. I would very much like to learn what this is, so if any of you have an idea please let me know!
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Sad Eyed Lady View Post
    I have googled repeatedly with no results, so now I am turning to you. I have something and I don't know what it is, and so far haven't been able to find as answer. This item is the same size, shape and structure of a Jewish prayer shawl or tallit, with beautiful gold embroidery on maroon or burgundy on a crisp white material. The embroidery is of buildings/skyline. There are fringes hanging from each corner, and a burgundy piece of material in the middle of the top of the shawl. This would be the area that goes around the neck in the back. Words are embroidered in gold across this, but it is not Hebrew. My first thought was this may be an Islamic prayer shawl but I am having no luck finding anything that resembles it. I would very much like to learn what this is, so if any of you have an idea please let me know!
    Lay it out, take a photo or two, and send it to the Jews in your neighborhood. Maybe send photos to the local temple.

This Jew doesn’t know anything about Jewish accoutrements Or else I would help you.

Since the embroidery is not Hebrew, could it be Greek?

Could it be a Greek Orthodox prayer shawl?

IL it is not Hebrew, the writing that is. Also the buildings do not indicate the temple or Jerusalem.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

I may be totally off base here, so I can't emphatically say it is not Hebrew. It just doesn't look like any Hebrew characters I am familiar with. But I find it unusual that with all the googling I have done and all the photos I have looked at I can't find anything like it. If I can get a photo or two uploaded here I will.

shawl.jpg
    The true color is closer in the photo with the writing on it.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    The windmill might give a clue. It doesn’t look like any of the Scandinavian samples I could find. I suggest sending Bae a message, he is probably the best bet to know what this language could possibly be. Unless someone who has researched their family genealogy has come across it.

It is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    Since the embroidery is not Hebrew, could it be Greek?

Could it be a Greek Orthodox prayer shawl?
    "Prayer shawls" are not part of Orthodox practice at all (I'm Orthodox).

Prayer shawls are something I've heard about that seem to be popular among some Protestant folks.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    The windmill might give a clue. It doesn’t look like any of the Scandinavian samples I could find. I suggest sending Bae a message, he is probably the best bet to know what this language could possibly be. Unless someone who has researched their family genealogy has come across it.

It is beautiful.
    Thank you. I found it in a thrift store and I am so intrigued by it and what it might be. I too thought the windmill might be a clue but so far haven't found anything related.

Thread Information