Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone iron anymore?

Anyone iron anymore?

Low fruit on my spring declutter is an ironing board stored out in the garage. It think I've used it for weddings and funeral once every year or so, but anymore those seem to be less formal and crisp ironed shirts or slacks are not big deal. At least in my crowd. I guess in a pinch people use a towel spread on a counter top or table? Then I started wondering if I really need the iron.

Don't own a full size ironing board, but do have a small travel one that gets brought out to press something once in awhile. I am more the spread a towel on the counter person IF I am going to press anything. Linen mostly.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

I use my very nice iron for sewing. The last button down shirt I got was one that doesn't need ironing, and other clothing I can hang up quickly and avoid wrinkles. But nothing turns out right when you sew if you do not iron a lot.

I iron something maybe once a month? Usually on a towel spread across the countertop.

I iron clothing I wear to work. No matter how quickly I get clothes out of the dryer, they seem to wrinkle. And I just like to have non-wrinkled clothing.

Ironing is one of the few household tasks I enjoy. There's no dirt, your hands don't get wet, no smelly cleaners, just me and the steam iron, making things neat and smooth. It's a lot of reward for very little work.

I left my ironing board behind when we moved as I figured I wouldn't need one. Then when I started sewing a few things for the house, I thought it would be a useful thing to have again. Found a high end heavy duty one at the thrift store for $10 cause I didn't like the way the cheapie ones wobble. Excuse the pun but ironically, I think I've used it less than three times since buying.

Because I sew... I iron.
    I gave up the glue gun a few years ago though. Decided there was never ever going to be something I'd want to hotglue again in my life.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Cellaneous View Post

Ironing is one of the few household tasks I enjoy. There's no dirt, your hands don't get wet, no smelly cleaners, just me and the steam iron, making things neat and smooth. It's a lot of reward for very little work.
    I agree. When I have time to do it, I iron pillow cases and even dishtowels. My ironing board is in the basement, and sometimes I just take the quiet time to iron away. At one point in my life I was into listening to cassette tapes of audio books, and the very topic of this thread takes me back to the hours I spent listening to Napoleon Hill's Think and Grow Rich on my Walkman downstairs at the ironing board.

When we were bringing "as needed only" items to VT last year, DH and I argued over the need for the iron, but I won.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

When my boys were in Cub Scouts and for a housekeeping badge they were asked what do you use a iron for and one kid wrote to patch pants). My mom teased me for years. Got rid of it once my mom died since she used it when visiting.

Like Miss Cellaneous and Catherine, I also enjoy ironing. Always have. It's kind of relaxing to me. Even the smell of it reminds me of my childhood. My mom let me iron simple stuff like hankies and pillowcases when I was just tall enough to reach.

I do iron some of my work clothing, and I also use it when sewing. My ironing board is always up.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information