Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone iron anymore?

I steam things lightly when needed, but that's about it.

My husband irons almost every day. He is very particular and can spend 20 minutes plus on one shirt. I however only do it on rare occasions, and usually just to the point I get the big wrinkles out. Ironing was one of those things that, because I was a girl, were relegated to me growing up (my mom obviously hated it too, which is why it got delegated to me). I got to iron the family's clothes and I /hated/ it. What a waste of a sunny day. That big pile of laundry stacked up meant I'd be there for HOURS.

I never iron clothing.

I iron table cloths, often for flower shows. Once in a blue moon I sew something and I iron then.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-18-19 at 7:47pm.

Now that I am retired, ironing is a very rare occurrence (and it was pretty rare even before I retired). I am mostly ironing home textiles at this point and not so much in the way of clothing.

Thanks. Maybe the ironing board will go and the iron will stay. I didn't realize so many people ironed routinely. And sewed. Maybe ironing could be called "mindful meditation" these days. My work attire was what we called Dockers casual and I never minded ironing much. Now it just seems like a time sink. I wear button down sport or work shirts almost exclusively and can almost feel dressed up among the other retirees in t-shirts or sweats. My routine in decent weather is hanging shirts and pants on a hanger on the clothes line. With a little wind they seem to straighten out pretty well and smell good. I'm guessing that is socially acceptable these days, if it matters.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    My husband irons almost every day. He is very particular and can spend 20 minutes plus on one shirt. I however only do it on rare occasions, and usually just to the point I get the big wrinkles out. Ironing was one of those things that, because I was a girl, were relegated to me growing up (my mom obviously hated it too, which is why it got delegated to me). I got to iron the family's clothes and I /hated/ it. What a waste of a sunny day. That big pile of laundry stacked up meant I'd be there for HOURS.
    When my DH worked at Brooks Brothers, it would take me 25 minutes to iron one of his BB dress shirts. I finally did the math and realized that I was using a good chunk of precious weekend time doing something that could be outsourced for about $5.00.

I have a bad ironing memory. When I was very young, maybe 5 or so, I was playing underneath my grandmother's ironing board. She may not have even known I was under there. Anyway at some point I reached up and placed my hand on the board and she set her hot iron down on my thumb! I still have the scar.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Yes. Iron cotton clothing and I press a lot when I sew.

I iron a few things for work (especially summer - cotton, linen, etc.). Also iron when sewing. I have found that spray sizing helps me get a nice smooth result.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Someone was using an iron last night in carpentry class to apply some type of "iron-on" veneer product to his bookcase, so I guess the humble iron has uses I had never even imagined!

Thread Information