Thread: Kale has a lot of pesticides...........

Kale has a lot of pesticides...........

I've gotten into using Kale, since it's so nutritious. We eat tons of leafy greens every day. DH just informed me that Kale is on the list for the highest amounts of pesticide, along with spinach and other greens. We do buy organic spinach, but sometimes organic is so much more expensive that I go with the "regular" stuff. Plus, the organic spinach comes in large plastic containers. I do recycle the containers, but I'm trying to cut down on even buying recyclable stuff. Well, I guess I'll just have to spend more money. I mean why eat all the good stuff, if it's laced with poison?
    Plus, I had decided to decrease my workload in the garden and just buy spinach and other greens, but I've decided to go ahead and grow it in the garden again. If it gets to be too much work for me, then I guess I'll fork out the $$ for always buying organic. It's funny......I just discovered how nutritious Kale is. Up until recently, I never ate it. But.........I grew it in a container out by the coop just for the chickens. haha

I would have thought Kale would be something that pests wouldn't be attracted to. Maybe farmers spray it, proactively. That would be unfortunate.

Speaking of recycling..........I clean and re-use all my plastic food bags and re-use them in the store for produce, over and over and over. I'm the bag lady.

Ick, just when I thought kale couldn't get any nastier...

I think it must be similar to broccoli and Brussels sprouts which aphids and the like just adore.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I've discovered that it's sort of different every year, which bug likes which veggie. Sometimes it's early, sometimes it's late.
    LOL about the kale. It's funny, but I've been thinking about it, and I've just learned over the years that veggies are good for me.....and I eat a ton of them, but I don't know if I like them or not or if I find them tasty. Isn't that weird?
    At some point, I just accepted that they are good for me to eat, so I eat them. Now, for sure, I can say that potato chips, ice cream, pizza, fried chicken, etc., taste good and I know it!

DD has the most chaotic vegetable garden I have ever seen but rarely any bugs. Literally, one type of plant here, another there - not the usual rows or areas of same item. I guess the bugs have trouble finding a large enough patch of one plant to bother with or they are repeled by another type so close by. In any case, the kale plants looked very healthy and tasted great.

When I grew it for my chickens, I never saw a single bug on it. (which probably disappointed the chickens.....haha)

No leafy greens unless organic. Totally not worth it!

I'm not too worried about my aging body and pesticides but I don't like the idea of supporting that industry - so I buy organic when I can.

By the time I eat as much garden kale as I can, I am over it for the year. Strawberries were also high on the nasty list. I always buy organic strawberries.

Thread Information