Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I made the perfect bread!

Please stop all these tantalizing bread ideas I can leave sweets alone with no problem, cheeses are tempting but fresh bread is my ultimate weakness especially when I think of the warm crust drizzled with butter. They are so good.

I had to stop going to a newest artisan bakery in town as I would buy a round loaf of rye with delicious caraway seeds and the day after the whole loaf was gone. I have tried to cut it in half and freeze but it calls to me.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I've been making a sour rye all winter, but my sour culture is not as active as one I had going a year or two ago. I think I'm going to try feeding it with half rye, half wheat. It does have excellent flavor, but the leavening power isn't great. No one in the house complains, though!

I have not had great results from the many recipes that encourage highly hydrated dough. When baked as a loaf, especially in a Dutch oven, the bread has a texture that is too moist. It works ok for flatbreads.

A couple of years ago I was following the Tartine Bread basic whole wheat sourdough recipe fairly closely. That worked pretty well, aside from the overly moist texture.

I usually bake a sourdough that's about 25% rye, 75% wheat, using stoneware casserole dishes with lids, following the Dutch oven method... but removing the lids after about 15 minutes.

Thread Information