Thread: air duct cleaning - is it necessary?

air duct cleaning - is it necessary?

My house will be 25 years old this August and the air ducts have never been cleaned. I have two cats in the house and the normal amount of dust. I am thinking of having this done but I am sure it is a bit pricey, so I guess I am asking is it necessary? And is it worth it? What I would really like is for someone to check the air ducts and see if there are any repairs needed, no animals getting into them etc. Can this be done without going to all the expense of cleaning? I read mixed reviews on the necessity of cleaning them, but don't know what to think.

As some of you know I lost my husband suddenly almost 4 years ago and I have no other family, so don't really have someone to ask about these kind of things except the people who performs the service and of course they want to sell. Any opinions will be appreciated. Thanks.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Yes, it is worth it. We did it at 25 years as well. They found several segments that were not well-joined anymore. They sealed those seams. It really decreased our heating bill. It's lower than it was 15 years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Yes, it is worth it. We did it at 25 years as well. They found several segments that were not well-joined anymore. They sealed those seams. It really decreased our heating bill. It's lower than it was 15 years ago!
    Thank you!
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

I would agree, it's not the cleaning so much as them checking to make sure there's no gaps or breaks. That's worth it.
    And maybe check with your local utility provider. Ours offers a $99 audit which includes checking the ducting, and they even provide photos and suggestions. There's no sales pressure to do anything, it's up to you if you want to pursue it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    I would agree, it's not the cleaning so much as them checking to make sure there's no gaps or breaks. That's worth it.
    And maybe check with your local utility provider. Ours offers a $99 audit which includes checking the ducting, and they even provide photos and suggestions. There's no sales pressure to do anything, it's up to you if you want to pursue it.
    Thanks. Good advise also. I didn't know about the utility companies doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sad Eyed Lady View Post
    Thanks. Good advise also. I didn't know about the utility companies doing that.
    It was that free inspection/recommendation that prompted us to do it!

Someone came and checked my duct system today and said they were in very good shape, and I didn't need to have anything done!! Yippee
    !

Someone came and checked my duct system today and said they were in very good shape, and I didn't need to have anything done!! Yippee
    !
    Perfect - gives you peace of mind.

Someone came and checked my duct system today and said they were in very good shape, and I didn't need to have anything done!! Yippee !
    AWESOME!!!!!

Thread Information