Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Give it a Hundred (or 20 or 30 ...) - March/April 2019

Give it a Hundred (or 20 or 30 ...) - March/April 2019

In August 2017, a few of us on this board were inspired by the video at the link below. It's the story of a woman who went to the gym 100 times to try to get herself out of a rut. I saw it when George Takei posted it on Facebook along with the question, "What would you like to do 100 times?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5FkshLcNLQ

Her video was part of a larger movement online called "Give it 100" which, as far as I can tell, is now defunct.

I decided what I wanted to do 100 times was work on my fiction writing at least 30 minutes a day. The times do NOT need to be consecutive. Since I knew I would miss a lot of days here and there, I was aiming to complete my 100 days by January 15 2018, but because I wanted a certain number of the days to be one-hour or two-hour days I actually ended up doing 110 times in order to meet those goals and finished them in mid-March 2018.

Others joined in at various points - nswef has counted times of a certain number of steps a day and I think has also counted days doing 15 minutes of decluttering and/or some writing. Chicken Lady got 30 days in her studio at one point and has also counted swimming and various housekeeping/decluttering tasks.

Anyway, if anybody else wants to join in for 20, 30, 100 or however many times of something, please do!

Doing 100 days of working on my fiction writing was so transformative for me that I am now working towards doing 100 times 9 more times (for a total of 1000 times!). I completed my second 100 in January of this year, and started my third 100 soon after. I've had some tough life stuff going on recently, though, and completely neglected my writing for about three weeks. But today I got back to it. I'm on #6 of my third 100.

I have committed to 52 days in which I spend at least 3 hours working on our upstairs (3 hours counts as a "day" even when done over several days, in my wonky way of counting for this goal....) and I'm at 12, how lame is that?? But still, that's 36 hours of work and I really can see a tiny difference in our second floor. A long way from where it needs to be, but little by little it will get done. A journey of a thousand miles starts with one footstep, right??

I have joined the ymca so I have access to fitness classes 7 days a week. I want to commit to at least 5-6 times every week. In the gym I am leaving, it has dwindled and I must have a group class to do my best.

Great goals everyone. None of me because my wrist is healing slowly and it’s still broken.

Early Morning, 36 hours is a LOT. Good for you.

Yay, sweetana3 on the fitness classes!

Teacher Terry, sorry to hear about your wrist!

I am being inspired by your fiction writing. Several years ago, I took a pottery class that was like drinking out of a fire hose. The instructor was amazing, and they should have listed him as a “master class” because we were all out of our depth. otoh, I would not have signed up for the course had I been warned, and being in equally overwhelmed company kept me trying and I learned A LOT. But the first night, he showed us how to throw a particular little bowl, and then he said “ok, go home this week and throw a hundred of these.” And we all laughed. And when he realized we thought he was joking, he shrugged and said “or ten.”

So, I don’t know how long it will take, but I want to work on some series, and i’m going to start with 100 slab cylinder based vessels and see how they evolve. I have started the first one.

That sounds fun, Chicken Lady!

First cylinder is drying. Second is started, I have ideas for #3 and #4 and #5.

That's great, Chicken Lady!

Well, I bisque fired one, but I am stalled out on doing the series because I am trying to focus on getting things finished for my sale next weekend, and probably for my class for a week or two after that. But I have a sketchbook full of ideas.

Thread Information