Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Sad Situation

More hugs from this quarter @Teacher Terry.

I am influenced by Atul Gawande (Being Mortal). I believe the decision about who should be poa would ideally be the person best able to carry out the wishes of the very sick woman. Hopefully she has been given accurate and understandable information about her condition, and the pros and cons of medical interventions at this stage.

She’s a RN so is medically savvy. She is trying 2 new drugs with a lot of bad side effects. If that doesn’t work she will go back on IV chemo. She is skin and bones so I doubt she will survive that. None of us know what we would choose if in that situation.

Ten years ago my dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer that had metasticized to his bones. At 91, he is still here.

You just never know!

Wow Tybee! My friend survived 20 years with stage 4 ovarian cancer that came back 8 times all of which required surgery and chemo.

Hugs to Teacher Terry and DH. My DH's ex died of cancer about 10 years ago. Similar situation--she had treated DH very badly and had very few people in her life to provide companionship. We did what we could and felt very sad when she passed away. You and your DH won't regret the compassion and kindness you showing her now.

Thanks Rachel.

Well it’s time for a update. Her doctor said she won’t see the new year. She is continuing to try different chemo none of which has worked. My husband has been handling all the appointments but as of tomorrow will be working out of town so it’s now my job. I have mixed feelings as I am hoping that she lives but it will be taking over my schedule. Her chemo’s are all on Tuesday so that’s easy. But have to be flexible because in the same week it will be up in the air when her tests will be done. Once her son is back in July I am sure he will take her if he can but is in the military.

I am so sorry, Terry. You are very good person to help her. Please take care of you, too.

I'm sorry, Terry. Hugs to all.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

That is a good thing you are doing!

Thread Information