Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leather couch with dogs?

Geila
    It's funny that catherine had great results with leather and pets and rosarugosa had the opposite experience. Since good leather is expensive and the odds are 50/50, I'll stick to inexpensive fabric. I'm surprised that several of you said that your couches only last about 5 years. All of mine have lasted at least 15. I often lament that having one reupholstered would be more expensive than buying new. All this perfectly good stuff going to the dump. The frames on my couches are all perfectly fine and well-made. But finding someone who would be even willing to reupholster (one is a big sectional) would be tough where I live. There is so much highly paid work available here that labor is hard to find - min. wage is $15. Friends of ours had a small sofa and settee that they had done and it was $4,000 and it took them a while to find someone.

As a separate question - what about recliner couches, especially recliner sectionals? Anyone have experience with those? I've never owned a recliner either, but now in my later years I find that I really need more back support than my couches offer and Costco had some of these recliner sectionals on display and they were SO comfortable! I've always thought recliners were just too big and bulky for our small spaces, but I think I might be willing to make a sacrifice. Plus Costco has a smaller-sized sectional that would fit perfect in our space.

Usually by 10 years the couch is uncomfortable.

Geila
    What do you think makes it uncomfortable - the padding used on the cushions or do you think it's the frame/coils? One of my couches is def feeling uncomfortable in the past couple of years.

It’s the spot where DH sits all the time.

Geila
    Haha! Yes, ours have the same problem. What I meant was, would changing the padding or cushions make the couch comfortable again or is the damage in the coils or frame, which could be more costly to replace. But I guess it doesn't matter.

I have no clue. But at around 10 years I am sick of looking at it anyways.
    Last edited by Teacher Terry; 3-29-19 at 2:27pm.

I have leather furniture that lasted 15 yrs with 2 pugs. The one pug we have left has gotten too old to jump up on the chairs.
    No punctures or worn spots. I have seen a few scratches. It looks new and we have been very lucky with the quality. Middle sofa cushion had begun to
    look smashed down, so I added batting and it is back.

I have a dog and we have leather couches which she sleeps on all the time. They have held up great. Plus, unlike fabric couches, leather doesn't get dog hair all over it which is great!
    Personal finance and budget travel blogger at Money and Mountains. My husband and I are living in an RV while he works remotely and I work as a traveling speech-language pathologist.

My 110 lb hounds are not allowed on the furniture. So the leather sofa has lasted forever.

Tea
    I've personally never liked the look or feel of leather furniture, so never had any.

Just a warning, I have heard of dogs completely destroying brand new leather couches in a single day. They can smell what it's made of, and probably think it's one giant rawhide bone! If you have a dog who's keen on chewing and shredding toys, I would watch closely for the first few days.

How well furniture holds up to pets depends more on the pets than the furniture. Cats that sharpen their claws on it or dogs who paw at a spot before lying down are bound to destroy anything eventually. The animals in our household are welcome to sleep on the furniture, but have been taught not to use their claws on it.

Thread Information