Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AARP - worth it?

Geila

AARP - worth it?

I received the invitation from AARP to join. How the heck do they identify people? Pretty scary if you think about it too hard.

Anywho - am wondering if it's a worthwhile expense. Right now we use AAA for home & auto insurance, and emergency roadside assistance. I've used them for over 25 years. Sometimes their service is pretty good, sometimes not so good. 15 years ago we used their travel agency and it was very good, though I don't know if they even still have that or if I would ever use it again.

Experiences/thoughts?

I belonged for a while, but did not use their AARP discounts much. I probably saved a little a few times for motels, but was never asked for a card and it's probably within the realm of some to just ask if they give AARP discounts regardless of whether you belong. It looked like if you travel a lot there are some interesting discounts. I actually sort of enjoyed their monthly publication. I don't belong anymore. Their junk mail is relentless and I don't want to encourage anymore of that than I already get.

They are ridiculous.

We don’t anymore because of the things roger mentioned.

I joined for a year a few years back and never renewed until it came time to choose a supplemental plan for Medicare. If you go with an AARP plan, you have to join. But it's cheap and the magazines are pretty good.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

DW subscribes. She gets a discount on our Consumer Cellular mobile phone service for being an AARP member. We may have used one of their other discounts or services but, as Rogar mentioned, they're seldom so exclusive that you can't get that discount through some other affinity organization to which you already belong (AAA, credit union, alumni association, etc.). The magazine is okay though it seems to me that too many of the articles seem to home in on "You'll never believe <name of celebrity> is old enough to be an AARP member!"

My take on it is that AARP is a lot like AAA; if you like the way AAA offers a bag of services, discounts, advocacy, and entertainment, you'll like AARP. The discounts pretty much pay for being a member, so it's not like it costs a bundle. (We're AAA members partially because having them for insurance requires it and partially because the combined age of our cars is 25 years.)
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

We used AARP for travel discounts quite a bit. When making reservations online I always had to put in my number. Now we have AAA and they both offer the same discounts. I do like a lot of articles in their magazine.

We drive older cars so when we travel (and sometimes even while a car is in the shop) we rent and the AARP discount for rentals is usually pretty good plus I usually order an economy model and get an AARP upgrade a level or two. I also like the magazines and use some local discounts.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Where is Bae, with the age discrimination story?

Geila
    Thanks for the responses. I'll just toss it out then as it doesn't offer any benefits that seem worth it at this time.

Thread Information