Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If money no object, your dream holiday

a whole month at a wellness spa/spiritual retreat on a beach like Bali or Fiji

At this point my dream bacationd are a series. I dont want to be gone for a year. They involve high end hotels, perfect weather in the 70’s farenheit, great architecture.

oh, and NO BOATS.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-26-19 at 12:17pm.

Until teleportation is a possibility, I'll take a day trip or two and an afternoon in my jungle hammock listening to the rain and reading an ebook.

ha, Jane - that's my issue too! If I could avoid all of the hassles of traveling I'd have lots of places I'd like to visit, but the getting there and back is such a drag.
    My favorite trip is to be hosted somewhere interesting and have my host introduce me to different cultural things, and then enjoy some special local meals. I wouldn't have to drive myself or cook or clean anything. Sounds more like a cruise but without the boat and water ??

IR, have always wanted to take a canal trip. I love those boats and have seen several on travel shows. Didn't know you could take one out on your own. Wow!!
    We have really pulled out the stops on travel the past few years. We have to take my husbands limitations into consideration on how we do it but we have no idea how long we have to enjoy it so we have been going for it. Japan is on my list as well as getting back over to the UK and then hopping over to Europe. We also got a lightly used Minnie Winnie for trips closer to home so we can take the dogs and not need a house/dog sitter. Now that both parents are gone and the estate is settled I'm free to be gone as often and as long as we wish. Travel has been a life long goal that I have saved for. I wish I had the self esteem to have traveled alone in my younger years but I didn't. Glad to have a travel partner now even though he is somewhat limited physically.

6-8 weeks in Australia and New Zealand.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Flying has really gotten to be a drag. I understand why people fly business or first class if they can afford it. We want to go to Ireland and Scotland next.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    IR, have always wanted to take a canal trip. I love those boats and have seen several on travel shows. Didn't know you could take one out on your own. Wow!!
    We have really pulled out the stops on travel the past few years. We have to take my husbands limitations into consideration on how we do it but we have no idea how long we have to enjoy it so we have been going for it. Japan is on my list as well as getting back over to the UK and then hopping over to Europe. We also got a lightly used Minnie Winnie for trips closer to home so we can take the dogs and not need a house/dog sitter. Now that both parents are gone and the estate is settled I'm free to be gone as often and as long as we wish. Travel has been a life long goal that I have saved for. I wish I had the self esteem to have traveled alone in my younger years but I didn't. Glad to have a travel partner now even though he is somewhat limited physically.
    Yes, there are many canal boat rental places in the UK. That was one trip I researched the hell out of, to identify the best canal. I wanted a blend of rural and town/village scenery. That canal trip was nice but
    I would not do it again. The boats go very slowly and it is really an old people’s game with a few drinking crowds and families thrown in on the weekend. It was fun to tie up the boat, walk a half mile Or a mile into the town, buy provisions, see sights, go back to boat.

so that reminds me of another thing I want in my dream vacation: little research. For my last trip to Europe I researched only the hotel because I was picky about that, but everything else I just went with the flow. I stepped foot in the Czech Republic not knowing any of the language or the money, and that worked out just fine, I managed on the fly to use Czech currency. They also would have taken Euros, but not common there. Signs were in Emglish, Czech, and sometimes German.

I spend a lot of time researching and booking hotels so that gets to be a drag. My husband is good about directions and exchanging the money,etc. So no decisions would be great.

We started traveling extensively around age 42. We decided to do trips that were physically demanding or were difficult and/or took lots of time to get there (i.e. India, Asia, Africa, So America). We thought we would travel more extensively in the US when we were retired and could get senior discounts. This has worked out even better than I could have imagined. Many I know are now doing trips that they physically are not prepared for and suffer. This year I have 7 trips already planned and a number of day trips to think up. The only out of the country trip is to Belize in December. We will still travel out of country but have visited many that were on the bucket list.

If you research, you can find deals to the places you really want to visit!

Thread Information