Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: If money no object, your dream holiday

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    My dream "trip" would be to find a cabin deep in the woods of the Northwest, with maybe a pond close by. The cabin would have a screened-in porch. I'd sit there at night....maybe sleep out there....and take in the sounds of the owls, the frogs and all the other night beings. Ahhhhh.......paradise.
    I have a ramshackle place in a wooded area. You could hang mosquito netting over what's left of the deck. There used to be a night creature out back that I swore was a pterodactyl--or maybe a sasquatch...

Never thought travel was worth the bother. I would just sleep in all day. On a pile of cash.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Never thought travel was worth the bother. I would just sleep in all day. On a pile of cash.
    How boring that would be. I live to travel!

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I have a ramshackle place in a wooded area. You could hang mosquito netting over what's left of the deck. There used to be a night creature out back that I swore was a pterodactyl--or maybe a sasquatch...
    Lol Jane. I might just take you up on that some day!😊

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    How boring that would be. I live to travel!
    I asked Spartana about that a long time ago. How much of it is ones upbringing (we didn't travel much)? One of the last trips I remember as a kid, we checked into a hotel, because asthma/allergies, pretty much left me dead weight.
    Now, with the internet, things I would like to see, most I could do virtually.

No one I knew traveled as a kid except maybe to a resort up north for vacation. No one could afford it. My parents didn’t travel until we grew up and it’s the same with us. Looking on the internet is not the same as experiencing the sights, sounds, people, culture and food. Not even comparable.

Hard though that may be to believe, not all of us are eager travelers.

For me, the getting there part cancels out the promise of new sights, sounds, and cuisine. I'd just as soon skip the trip and have some restaurant delivery service hook me up with pho or something while I watch Italian TV.

DH had no desire to travel. He loved being home and doing things around home. For the first years of his career, he was flying back and forth across Canada and wanted no more of it. He was content with staying home so I traveled on my own or in a group tour activity. I heard or read about couples having an adventure exploring different cities or countries and trying different foods and wished that had been possible for me. I tried a cruise once, felt trapped and decided never again as I need to be able to walk away.

In balance, DH and I went camping and had many adventures trying new things at home and I loved that.

After my flight to Japan and, more recently, a 3-week bus trip to the southwest US, I am finally understanding DH's approach to the world. I loved the trips but the coming home was so wonderful. I have lost my desire for flights, layovers and waiting in line with other people. I am looking for another dog to complete my life's activities and will enjoy the many local area interests.

Different strokes for different folks really is true. Isn't it wonderful that we have the choice?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Traveling gets to be more of a hassle as you age. Plus the airlines keep making the seats smaller so it’s more uncomfortable.

I traveled some--mostly flew--for work, before air travel really became an ordeal. I'm not afraid to fly, I just don't like anything about flying--the lines, the people, the waiting, the crowded, uncomfortable seats, the getting to and from airports... I don't mind car trips, as long as someone else is driving.

Thread Information