Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: If money no object, your dream holiday

I like traveling near and far. I love leaving home and I love coming back even better. Have to give a shout out to my son who is our house and dog sitter. He loves to entertain and usually has a big party while we are gone. He knows the rules about things that go missing or get broken.... He also knows the neighbors would rat him out if he had offensive guests or things got too wild. So far so good. We come home to an immaculate house and a plate of fresh baked cookies every time. The dog always liked him best anyway.....

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I traveled some--mostly flew--for work, before air travel really became an ordeal. I'm not afraid to fly, I just don't like anything about flying--the lines, the people, the waiting, the crowded, uncomfortable seats, the getting to and from airports... I don't mind car trips, as long as someone else is driving.
    So interesting... I HATE long car trips. Like a kid .... "are we there yet?" I feel confined, trapped and bored most of the time. At times I am also car sick. I really don't enjoy flying either but it beats the alternative IMO. The getting to the place is just that getting there.... almost always it is worth the effort though!!!! I can't imagine not being able to travel. It gives a person an adventure to look forward to IMO.

I used to love work travel when I was younger. Now I mostly view it as a hassle. But as others have mentioned, I love "being somewhere else". I've also realized that traveling first class (hey, we're talking money no object, right?) is a whole different ballgame. I've only done it with points or when it was an extra $30 or whatever, but wow, what a difference in the experience.

I have done it twice on the cheap. I understand why people with money fly first class.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    So interesting... I HATE long car trips. Like a kid .... "are we there yet?" I feel confined, trapped and bored most of the time. At times I am also car sick. I really don't enjoy flying either but it beats the alternative IMO. The getting to the place is just that getting there.... almost always it is worth the effort though!!!! I can't imagine not being able to travel. It gives a person an adventure to look forward to IMO.
    We have pretty scenery around here; if I were on a road trip across Nebraska, I might have a different take on it. Also, the company matters--and stopping along the way for additional adventures.

For longer trips, if money were no object, I could take a private plane, I guess.

One of those European River Cruises -or - White sand beaches - lazy afternoons reading, watching the waves, digging my heals in the warm sand. No phones, no news, simply relaxing.
    Heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg44 View Post
    One of those European River Cruises -or - White sand beaches - lazy afternoons reading, watching the waves, digging my heals in the warm sand. No phones, no news, simply relaxing.
    Heaven.
    Could you do this on a pretty beach near home?

Could you do this on a pretty beach near home?
    My SIL is from Southern CA, they go to the beach. In the Pacific Northwest we go to the coast. :-(

How boring that would be. I live to travel!
    That falls under the category of to each his own. Personally, I canít think of anything I want to stand next to so badly that I want to be shipped like a parcel somewhere where they consider tourists to be at best a necessary evil.

L, I hope your wife doesn’t like to travel or goes without you. What do you intend to do in retirement?