Thread: Favourite breads and new ones

Favourite breads and new ones

Herbgeek's post on her bread making efforts has started me thinking of all the breads that different cultures have enjoyed.

Some I have really enjoyed - a really fresh croissant is amazing. In San Francisco, I tried some delicious fresh sourdough in a sandwich. A fresh baguette is yum.

Years ago, once a month, I bought a fresh monster-size loaf of really chewy rye bread that could supply an army once one was able to cut it into slices.

Yesterday, I ventured into a different culture and tried a 'roti'. It is quite good, made of whole grain flour and water with little else and works quite well as a wrap. I have to experiment some more with it.

Corn bread has never been a hit with me despite a number of my efforts to bake and those that I bought. Not sure why not.

What are your favourites?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I've made roti, but call them chapati, as that how they were first introduced to me. Also known as whole wheat tortillas, when I use them for burritos. I also make naan regularly, to serve alongside soup for lunch in the winter.

Cornbread, to me, can only be made properly in a cast iron pan. Otherwise the outside/crust is just not the right consistency.

I agree on the well made croissant. I've tried to make them several times, and they come out like greasy, leaden lumps.

I like the German vollkorn bread. Sliced super thin with butter, and maybe speck (ham). Rye bread in general reminds me of good times with my grandmother when I was 8. The German rye bread she has was very sour (fermented) and not to the liking of my 8 year old taste buds. My Oma saw me struggling with it, and then purchased a jar of nutella just for me. That made the rye bread go down much more easily.

I like a good pain de mie for toast. A good bagel toasted for breakfast, yum.

I like my carbs.

A fresh homemade buttery buttermilk scone with a little fruit in it is lovely. A local bakery about 3/4 mile away has all kinds of croissants. They are huge and many layers on layers of goodness both sweet and savory. My favorite right now is almond.

I love good bread and make nearly all of the breads that we eat.
    Some favorites are rye sourdough, sourdough with nuts and fruit, whole wheat bread with oatmeal, rosemary focaccia, pizza and other flatbreads or filled savory pastries, cornbread...

Then there are all the sweet breads...
    Last year I made these fantastic chocolate-filled rolls for my birthday instead of a cake. Scones, biscuits, muffins, banana bread, cardamom buns, cinnamon rolls...
    I could go on.

I try to limit bread (not always successfully), but I love rye (even the bland commercial kind), and a good crusty baguette. I also like buttery and stuffed parathas and injera.

https://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/pa...ndian-paratha/

There probably isn't a bread I don't like, save the tasteless kind you generally get at the store.

Thread Information