Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gardening - political?

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    This thread is giving me a chuckle. Gardening becoming political? I prefer to use no chemicals or anything beyond compost and mulch. Does that make me a libertarian or what other option?
    It makes you a crunchy conservative unless you scold and nag your neighbors who may make different choices and then that makes you a scolding nagging person of (probably) liberal persuasion because you want to legislate everything and everyone. If you keep your opinions to yourself then that is cool.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-26-19 at 9:27pm.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    It makes you a crunchy conservative unless you scold and nag your neighbors who may make different choices and then that makes you a scolding nagging person of (probably almost certainly) liberal persuasion because you want to legislate everything and everyone. If you keep your opinions to yourself then that is cool.
    Fixed it for ya.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Fixed it for ya.
    I accept that edit.

Well, DH, the Mary Matalin of us, is the Roundup guy, and I, the James Carville, fight with him every year about its use. I usually give in when it comes to doing the cracks n driveways, but not on the patio. I'm the social warrior fighting for the moss and the dandelions and he's all for efficiency, expediency, and growth, so maybe it is a little political.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Gardening must be political. I had no idea who Matalin or Carville were so had to look them up. Interesting couple.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I try to not use anything but compost on my veggie garden every year. Used to use chopped alfalfa for nitrogen,but can’t find it any more. I weed with my hands. I will add organic potting soil, because my veggie garden sits atop about 2’ of sand, our septic field, which leaches out the nutrients about every 3 years.

When we moved in here, a shovel of dirt looked like an angel food cake with chocolate glaze, lots of white sand and very little top soil.

Independent voter here and just put some compost on the plants and will cover them with hay.

It has already been 38 degrees here three mornings in a row.

Thread Information