Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Incompetence.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Incompetence.....

Quick question....does the level of incompetence you run across in your daily life sometimes astound you? Count me as a yes. I'm not saying I'm the most capable and competent person, and yes, I'm human and I make mistakes too and have made some doozies in my lifetime.....but I also will say that in the past year the level of incompetence I've been running across in phone customer service situations and in front line staff in other situations really is hitting new levels.

I wonder if some of this is fallout due to Arizona's relatively high minimum wage? If training is being cut even more and poor souls are just thrown on the floor like many restaurants do to just sink or swim?

Has anyone else noticed this? Rob

Yppej
    Definitely in the call centers outsourced to the Philippines with language barriers and just follow the script training. And in customer service stateside I think sometimes people are capable of good service but too lazy to deliver it. Certainly I see that from some of my coworkers even though we interact with customers on an irregular basis, it's not an overwhelming volume.

Call centers are horrible!

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Call centers are horrible!
    They sure are. I have been in the market for a fairly low limit credit card lately now that I can afford to realistically carry plastic again - though I wonder if I am really just better off sticking to cash or debit cards for convenience - and one of my criteria - all call center staff must be US based. Any other credit card has not earned a place in my wallet per my standards, and this one is non negotiable. Discover is a good example - their call center staff is entirely - at least at the moment anyway - still US based. Rob

Yes I have and it concerns me. When I get exceptional customer service, I tend to get a name and let management know.

Rob, you want a CC to rent cars because otherwise they put a huge amount as a hold on your account.

Some of the poor service levels are the aggressive metrics out in place by management teams. When you are only allowed so many seconds per call, you aren't going to do any more than a minimum.

Yes, I see incompetence everywhere.

5c86e9fc75184_Phteven.jpg

It shouldn't. Examples that I have are those, that can't read an analog clock, the all too common bad spellers (who wonder why I can't read their stuff and understand it), those that loose their government job, due to efficiency and speed, and then someone like our old UPS driver, who kept his job, when his stated to the press goal, was to be the worst person in the union and have a job.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Some of the poor service levels are the aggressive metrics out in place by management teams. When you are only allowed so many seconds per call, you aren't going to do any more than a minimum.
    This. As someone with a relative who works in call center/customer service, they are definitely measured in terms of time per call. Even chit chat like how are you, how's the weather, is cutting into the time they are allotted. If they give excellent customer service, but go over their time limit, they are penalized.
    So I'd say yes, competence can vary, but always have to consider the circumstance and work constraints too.

Thread Information