Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Incompetence.....

It almost goes without saying that foreign call centers tend to incompetence. My experience with brick and mortar retail has been pretty good. Maybe they know that customer service is their advantage over online retail. I don't know where it falls in description, but quality and quality control of a lot of things from China is poor. Though they do surprisingly well with some things, it is almost expected that a lot of electronics and other things will have a short lifespan before they wear out or break.

But what has surprised me is the incompetence in the medical profession. All the way from office workers to doctors and small issues up to life threatening, by my experience. I don't know if it's the actual people or the system that tries to push through high volumes of work so that they can make a living from insurance compensations. It's not everybody, but when you're dealing with quality of life or even life or death I would expect much better.

General commentary:

Yes--a credit union is the way to go, IMO. In my experience, they have people, not endless phone tree loops, and they're usually free from megabank influences.

Yes, I'm sure lack of training is very much a part of the problem. When I started my Megacorp tech career, we got months of hands-on training. That gradually phased out with the advent at profit-uber-alles in the eighties. In my last tech job, I got no training whatsoever.

Unfortunately, I agree about the level of competence/care provided by the medical-industrial complex. I suppose in some cases people get treated promptly and adequately, but I can't say I've seen that myself. I hope to live by Congressman Grayson's advice: "American health care: don't get sick--and if you do get sick, die quickly."

On the medical side, here's a rant from a pharmacy tech:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/pharmacy/co...ther_cvs_rant/

I think there are two legs to this stool:

- An education isn't what it once was. Used to be we were drilled on "times tables" and taught to calculate in our heads things like the amount of change that had to be returned in a purchase. Now the numbers are tapped into a cash register, all trust is placed in the blinking box, and most clerks don't seem to have a clue if the number that appears on the display cannot pass the smell test. Additionally, somewhere along the way we decided that spelling words properly was too hard, so now almost anything goes. I still remember my year-younger sister being taught to spell phonetically. It has screwed her up for spelling properly for her entire life. So I believe people are not as well-educated in the basics as they were.

- I also believe much of the incompetence we perceive is directed by management. Promotion to management used to be an acknowledgement of excellence in a particular skill or service; the good employees worked up the ranks and got to model superior skills for the newer employees. Then management became this interchangeable meta-skill which requires special college degrees but is far more concerned with how much "value" can be extracted from customers and far less with the value of individual customers and their willingness to spend money at, advertise, and forgive your company. There rarely is understanding of (or empathy for) customers or the people who serve them (who, btw, typically are the lowest-paid in any organization). Gotta say, it's tough to bend over backward for a customer when your management is busy kicking you in the backside all the time.

I used to work at a large transportation company which relied very heavily on good customer service because it (supposedly) was a differentiator; other local companies offered the same product at the same price. The chief execs never seemed to understand that, to customers, they were not the face of the company; instead, that face was the dockhand that randomly tossed onto the conveyor belt the boxes marked "Fragile" because he was under the gun to clear each shipment in X time -- or the face was the agent working a double who could not locate a critical next-day shipment lost in the wrong airport at 8 am.

A family medicine doctor friend of mine complains frequently that his supervisors tell him he is "spending too much time" on patients. Tech support agents are rated on how many calls they close on the first contact, which sounds efficient until the agents figure out that quickly telling clients "It's broken; call back later" closes the call and bumps their numbers to make themselves look like stars -- but that infuriates the caller, who gets zip for her trouble. My next-door neighbor worked on a car assembly line for years. This guy overengineers every repair he does at home. He knows how to do it right. Different creature on the assembly line, though, when he would get written up for spending a little extra on a job (car) to do it right ("We've got people in inspection for that."). The company doesn't make that model anymore. Who was responsible for that happening?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Much of the incompetence is caused by big company’s desire for greater profits for the ceo’s And executives to split. One of my younger sibs is job hunting. $10.10 an hour, every weekend and you have to dress professionally. Benefits almost non existent. Ridiculous. She recently went to an interview and it was insane, a group interview like a cattle call, low wage, poor benefits and demeaning hiring process.

People used to to take pride in their work because the companies were loyal. When you got sick the people tried to help you, now they try to figure out how to get rid of you. Often you could get even get some kind of pension for your loyalty or at least decent compensation. .

Now the focus is on downsizing, right sizing with reduced staff everywhere. But somewhere someone is making money. Follow the money and you see the problem.

Our politicians are being owned by corporations and they let them get away with murder.

So no wonder why people don’t care. They have nothing but a lifetime of work ahead of them for little reward, ever increasing workload and a dim future. Our waters are being polluted (my prediction for the next real crisis) Social security is being targeted. Our deficit is exploding and their are daily stories about the enormous student debt. A physician today graduates with hundreds of thousands in debt. A pharmacist or physical therapist needs four to eight years of university now before getting to work.

And everyone is trying to film you to sue or get you fired. No wonder morale is low.

As far as the efficiency/profit pressures on customer satisfaction, I wonder if we all need to look in the mirror for the cause. By "all" I mean everyone who owns stocks and insists on seeing stock values going up each quarter.
    It's one thing to look at your stock portfolio and cheer when it increases, and it's another thing to complain that companies are decreasing cost by cutting staffing to the bone. Aren't these two connected?

The push to make us all shareholders (where is that ROFL smiley?) came when corporations started phasing out defined pensions--it was really a brilliant move, taking the onus off even paying out miserly amounts from the one percent and forcing most of the middle class to invest in the stock market via 401Ks and similar.

Thread Information