Thread: Apartment Renters "Burdened"

Apartment Renters "Burdened"

Nearly half of American renters are "rent burdened", that is, they spend more than 30% of their income on rent.

11 million Americans spend more than 50% of their income on rent.

Eviction is nasty. Annually more children experience the loss of shelter due to eviction. It's not good for grown-ups to be evicted either.

The rental market is unique in every location. In the Northern Highlands of Wisconsin, $500-550/month is the going rate for 1 BR/1 bath apartment, with a coin operated laundry in a no-stairs building, and with off-street parking. I understand that the national average is about 3x that rent.

Some day I imagine I may be a renter … maybe in Wausau WI, maybe in Fort Collins CO, maybe in Ashland OR. I'd have to pay the landlord, wherever...

People need a shelter, warmth and food. Those are basic necessities for living. It is truly sad when the cost of just one gobbles up the most of the revenue. This is a worldwide problem, I believe.

Small town Wisconsin is cheap but are there any jobs? Here we have homeless people with full time jobs. Also many places won’t let kids in a one bedroom apartment even if the parents sleep in the living room. Plus if you have opposite sex kids they say you need a 3 bedroom apartment. When I was a social worker in Wisconsin my clients ran into this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Small town Wisconsin is cheap but are there any jobs? Here we have homeless people with full time jobs. Also many places won’t let kids in a one bedroom apartment even if the parents sleep in the living room. Plus if you have opposite sex kids they say you need a 3 bedroom apartment. When I was a social worker in Wisconsin my clients ran into this problem.
    The solution there is to stay out of the clutches of CPS.

Sometimes they ended up there through no fault of their own and then because of losing some of their income by having the kids gone couldn’t rent a big enough place to get them back. My first case I naively thought good the kids will just go home now.

Aside from CPS a lot of apartment complexes have rules about bedrooms too. When we moved back to Wisconsin we were looking for a 2 bedroom apartment and had 2 boys. Some places said we had to rent a 3 bedroom which we could not afford. We did finally find a 2 bedroom that would rent to us.

That is a legal way to avoid too many residents. Keeps out big families and such. Note that I do not say it is moral or ethical or good. It is just a reality.

I found an article that analyzed why a larger percentage of renters became burdened in the years from 1960 to 2014. In a nutshell increases in rent outstripped increases in incomes.

http://www.apartmentlist.com/rentono...wth-since-1960

Thread Information